5 Replies - 357 Views - Last Post: 21 May 2013 - 06:32 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game development update for newbie

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

I know many topics been here before but i think mine will be the most updated question. I want to start on game development, my target platform is android. I have experienced in web desktop and android application but i have totally no experience in game development. Ive read about game development vectors and other stuff which is kind of complicated to me as Im not that good in math. Android and desktop life cycle is very different so is it better for me to start developing games in desktop first and have better understanding on how it works or dive into android game development? And if im not that good in math can i still be a game developer?(this is off topic but i will appreciate if answered). thanks. :dontgetit:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game development update for newbie

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game development update for newbie

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

I doubt that this topic will be different from any other here.

I personally think that you should begin game development on android, because that is your target platform and android is different from desktop development, and I you where to develop for desktop, just to learn game development, you'll have to learn a whole new language, it's principles and then a graphic library. So I'd stick with learning how to program games on android. There are tons of tutorials on how to make games on android, just use your googlefu.

There is also an official training for graphics in android on their developers site:

http://developer.and...g-graphics.html

You will probably want to start with the Displaying graphics with OpenGL ES

And yes, you can be a game developer if your not good at math, but you cannot be a games programmer if your not good at math. You will have to learn math if you want to program games, because we use a lot of math, in different aspects of games. Take for example, a physics engine, it includes such topics as inertia, velocity, gravity, acceleration and even weight. I'd recommend picking up some linear algebra reading materials and learn as best you can.

I hope this helps your question.

Aaron1178

This post has been edited by aaron1178: 13 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

View Postaaron1178, on 14 May 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:

And yes, you can be a game developer if your not good at math, but you cannot be a games programmer if your not good at math.

Can you clarify this point? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

I mean that you can be a level designer, or even artist if you're not good at math. There are some fields in game development that don't require advanced math skills like linear algebra. Well, when you think about it, math is apart of every day life, from calculating your bills, to calculating how much time you have left at work.

To clarify, to be a Games Programmer, you have to be good at advance math subjects in order to meet the aspectations of your role as a programmer. But, you can be a level designer or even artist if your not the best at math, because they rarely need it when they're designing levels and what not. Don't get me wrong, they use math, just not advanced math topics like linear algebra or trigonometry.

This post has been edited by aaron1178: 14 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Generally you have the idea right. It is important to remember that only some aspects of even programming games require a lot of math; 'game programmer' is a very blanket term, you can have graphics, physics, UI, audio, technology, AI, etc. who will all call themselves game programmers.

I spent most of my time developing tech, I worked with graphics and physics too. To summarize, to be a game programmer does not mean that you have to be good at math. The math intensive roles are based around graphics and physics, but not UI or audio for instance.

Regarding the term 'game developer' it seems to mean something slightly different to certain individuals, to programmers they are programmers, to non-programmers they are anyone who works in games.

Hope that clarifies.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

View PostButchDean, on 14 May 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

View Postaaron1178, on 14 May 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:

And yes, you can be a game developer if your not good at math, but you cannot be a games programmer if your not good at math.

Can you clarify this point? :)/>

ah i mean the graphics and all that good stuff?

View Postaaron1178, on 13 May 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

I doubt that this topic will be different from any other here.

I personally think that you should begin game development on android, because that is your target platform and android is different from desktop development, and I you where to develop for desktop, just to learn game development, you'll have to learn a whole new language, it's principles and then a graphic library. So I'd stick with learning how to program games on android. There are tons of tutorials on how to make games on android, just use your googlefu.

There is also an official training for graphics in android on their developers site:

http://developer.and...g-graphics.html

You will probably want to start with the Displaying graphics with OpenGL ES

And yes, you can be a game developer if your not good at math, but you cannot be a games programmer if your not good at math. You will have to learn math if you want to program games, because we use a lot of math, in different aspects of games. Take for example, a physics engine, it includes such topics as inertia, velocity, gravity, acceleration and even weight. I'd recommend picking up some linear algebra reading materials and learn as best you can.

I hope this helps your question.

Aaron1178

Thanks for replying sir. So many platforms out there that i dont know where to start. Again, Thanks :rockon:

View PostButchDean, on 14 May 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

Generally you have the idea right. It is important to remember that only some aspects of even programming games require a lot of math; 'game programmer' is a very blanket term, you can have graphics, physics, UI, audio, technology, AI, etc. who will all call themselves game programmers.

I spent most of my time developing tech, I worked with graphics and physics too. To summarize, to be a game programmer does not mean that you have to be good at math. The math intensive roles are based around graphics and physics, but not UI or audio for instance.

Regarding the term 'game developer' it seems to mean something slightly different to certain individuals, to programmers they are programmers, to non-programmers they are anyone who works in games.

Hope that clarifies.

Thank you very much sir :rockon:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1