10 Replies - 382 Views - Last Post: 15 May 2013 - 12:14 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Could someone guide me in the right direction?

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hello! I am not tech savvy by any means. I thought I would post here on this forum to gain some advice from anyone on here who will offer advice and/or information.

I am looking to launch a business online, but I am not quite sure the best route to go when it comes to software development. I am looking for someone proficient in online, interactive, multi user programming. Some what like the way an online game is set up, but it's not a game.

If there is anyone who would take the time to offer some suggestions and answers, I would greatly appreciate it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Could someone guide me in the right direction?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Could someone guide me in the right direction?

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:46 AM

Do I need to move this to 'post a job'?

I am looking to launch a business online, but I am not quite sure the best route to go when it comes to software development. I am looking for someone proficient in online, interactive, multi user programming. Some what like the way an online game is set up, but it's not a game.

So are you making a game or not?

If there is anyone who would take the time to offer some suggestions and answers, I would greatly appreciate it.

To what questions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

Please forgive me as I am new here. I am not sure if this should be in the "post a job" area because I am not sure what type of programmer I need.

I want to create an online, interactive, live auction site. Not like an ebay, but rather a site where you are in a room with others (avatars), items are up for auction, live bids are placed, all action is visible (who bids, the bidding, pictures of the items, the ability to have the seller "on the auction block" talking about their item up for sale, the ability to make a payment (but is then routed to Paypal for example), user friendly, easy, visually appealing, ability to change background (i.e., make it look like an auction room or an outdoor fair), have an automated auctioneer announce things such as "going once", "SOLD!" etc...

Am I offering enough information?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:17 AM

Sure.. so someone with online business transaction experience..

Basically you are looking to have someone write a chat application plus-plus, right? Then some sort of secure server side scripting and java scripting individual with moderate skills in both.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

Uh...ok. LOL! You're the expert. I don't understand the lingo Modi. My expertise is in sales and marketing.

So am I looking for a gaming developer? Software programmer? Both? I have no clue!

Perhaps this should be posted in the job section and someone who can do all that I am looking for in the aforementioned will respond.

Thanks for the reply. :bigsmile:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

You're not looking for a game developer, although the skills are transferrable regardless. Sounds to me like you want a web developer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

I do not want to just launch a website where people just "click" an item and "buy it now". I have "gaming" stuck in my head because I think of a similar set up to the online poker sites. Several rooms, interactive, motion, and things of the like.

ButchDean...is this your area of expertise?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Before we go there I'm not looking to do this, btw. I'm very busy thanks. :)

You need to get down what you exactly want and then advertise to employ someone willing to do it. You're being too vague for anyone to say 'I can do it' because you have no spec. Secondly, it's up to you to know what is required, you can't just take anyone and dump it on them not knowing the scope of your own project.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

Butch, Sorry you felt my post was so vague, but how can someone not familiar with the world of web development and/or programming give specifics? I am not trying to dump anything on anyone, I think that comment was a bit presumptuous and rude. I was simply asking for some guidance, help, and suggestions in the world of computer technology. Not everyone is an expert such as yourself. As I said before, I do not understand software, programming, and things of the like, hence my posting here to gain some info. You took my post as being something other than that. I thought this would be a great forum to gain some information, but you have proved me wrong. So, thank you for your reply. I won't be posting here any longer. Have a great day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

I wouldn't confuse blunt or direct with being rude, but cest la vie. butchdean's suggestions on getting a complete idea of what you want is not a far cry from what would help you along the way. Having a nebulous idea is fine, but then you get nebulous responses, right? I mean sure - if you want some sort of poker room but as a live auction then it would help you to read up on what goes into making one.

As I said - if this just a gussied up, and specialized, chat room then that can be done with javascript, java, php, html5, flash, or so on.

What I can tell you is this wouldn't be a trivial task and would be fairly expensive in hours and time.

I thought this would be a great forum to gain some information, but you have proved me wrong. So, thank you for your reply. I won't be posting here any longer. Have a great day.

I do find it.. odd.. that one who is taken aback about being misinterpreted swings hard when doing the misinterpreting... though, as I said, so it goes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostSLD, on 15 May 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

Butch, Sorry you felt my post was so vague, but how can someone not familiar with the world of web development and/or programming give specifics? I am not trying to dump anything on anyone, I think that comment was a bit presumptuous and rude. I was simply asking for some guidance, help, and suggestions in the world of computer technology. Not everyone is an expert such as yourself. As I said before, I do not understand software, programming, and things of the like, hence my posting here to gain some info. You took my post as being something other than that. I thought this would be a great forum to gain some information, but you have proved me wrong. So, thank you for your reply. I won't be posting here any longer. Have a great day.

I don't get what your problem is. You came on here pointing out you don't know what you want and you expect people to read your mind and fill in the blanks - then develop software from that process?! That is an impossibly tall order.

You need to do some research to get some scope on what you require, clearly not knowing anything will end up leaving you with nothing because no-one will have any idea what you want, and there will likely be feature creep as you realize something isn't working as expected or you want to add some new idea on the fly.

Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1