6 Replies - 1328 Views - Last Post: 25 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Good machine for Windows development (esp. ASP.NET)?

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

I have been a Mac user for about 3 years now. I used PC up until that point, and I can use PC today, as well. Since my own laptop is a Mac, that's where I've done the majoring of my programming and development. That's fine for things that are OS-independent, such as all the Java programming I've been doing. However, I know I need to be able to work and develop in a Windows environment, as well - using an IDE such as Visual Studio, compiling code, working from the Windows command line, etc. My specialty, these days, is web development: web services, 3-tier e-commerce sites, etc. This is more for the purposes of adding to my skill set and broadening my range of career possibilities, rather than any specific desire on my part to work on Windows. Just to be able to say to potential employers, "Yes, I can develop in a Windows environment, too."

To that end, I am thinking of getting a Windows laptop, and I was wondering just how good it needs to be, for those purposes. And, by "how good?", I mean "how expensive?" I almost wonder if I could do fine with a modest machine (i.e., a dinosaur by today's standards): 1.x GHz processor, <100 GB hard drive, 512MB RAM, etc. Or would I need to break down and go for something more modern and powerful?

Also, what level of Visual Studio would I need? Would a free or student edition be enough, or do I need to step it up?

Right now, I'm looking primarily at two options for the next stage of my career path: internships and freelance development.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Good machine for Windows development (esp. ASP.NET)?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Good machine for Windows development (esp. ASP.NET)?

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

To that end, I am thinking of getting a Windows laptop, and I was wondering just how good it needs to be, for those purposes. And, by "how good?", I mean "how expensive?"

Any decent machine in the 400ish range would work from your local big box store.

I almost wonder if I could do fine with a modest machine (i.e., a dinosaur by tday's standards): 1.x GHz processor, <100 GB hard drive, 512MB RAM, etc. Or would I need to break down and go for something more modern and powerful?

If you bare bones stripped down that machine, sure.. though I would find it laggy.

If you need min specs for say visual studios - they offer those!
http://msdn.microsof...v=vs.80%29.aspx

Also, what level of Visual Studio would I need? Would a free or student edition be enough, or do I need to step it up?

Yes the Express version is free and fine to use.. there isn't really a 'student' version that differs from Express.

As for version - get the latest: 2012.

The other option - when compared to buying a new rig - install some sort of virtual machine environment and install windows in the VM, and drop Visual Studios in there. A little more easy than say lugging around another laptop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 17 May 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

Any decent machine in the 400ish range would work from your local big box store.

If you bare bones stripped down that machine, sure.. though I would find it laggy.

If you need min specs for say visual studios - they offer those!
http://msdn.microsof...v=vs.80%29.aspx

Yes the Express version is free and fine to use.. there isn't really a 'student' version that differs from Express.

As for version - get the latest: 2012.

The other option - when compared to buying a new rig - install some sort of virtual machine environment and install windows in the VM, and drop Visual Studios in there. A little more easy than say lugging around another laptop.

modi123_1, thank you very much for your tips!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Yeah VM wise I would try out two of the major players:

https://www.vmware.c...n/overview.html
http://www.oracle.co...oads/index.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

I tend to check the maximum amount of ram that can be installed.. and max it out :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Check out the cpu benchmark as well - ram won't fully compensate for a slouch.

BTW I wouldn't go with the "min specs" for VS - you'll regret it! Particularly ram @ 192/256 MB?! I would go 1GB as a mimimum. JMO.

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 18 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

Ah, thank you guys very much for the tips. And, I definitely won't go for "min specs" for VS! :smile2:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1