1 Replies - 1003 Views - Last Post: 23 May 2013 - 09:21 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Django vs Pyramid (or others) for my website and education

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

Just got an account here since it seemed like the right place to ask my question.
I want to recode a website I started a year ago, which is currently written in PHP, into Python together with a framework. The reason is that it is quite messy at the moment and I also want to expand my knowledge and prepare for future careers.

The site is basically in the shape of an index, aka it relies heavily on a database (MySQL) and 90% of the pages you see on it are dynamically generated from what it retrieves from my DB and logged in users etc.

I started a short tutorial on Django yesterday and seems like a really nice framework with very little to set up on your own before you can start coding. Liked the admin interface so far too.
But then I read that a lot of people prefer Pyramid, like that it is the "next big thing" when it comes to python web frameworks and that SQLAlchemy is really powerful if you want to handle a DB.

So yeah I am a little confused about what to choose. I also read that SQLAlchemy can be a little advanced compared to the Django ORM (which I again, likes so far). My website has around 500-1000 unique every day so I suppose (?) performance comparison is out of question.
What would you recommend me? I don't want an essay with details because those already exist on the net, but maybe a few sentences about why I should stick to Django/switch to Pyramid.

Thanks in advance :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Django vs Pyramid (or others) for my website and education

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Django vs Pyramid (or others) for my website and education

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Honestly, just pick one and pull the trigger. It's kind of arbitrary. I do know that I've worked professionally in Django shops and have never even heard of a Pyramid shop, but I don't doubt they exist.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1