6 Replies - 1522 Views - Last Post: 13 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Math elective

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'm trying to get some advice. I am a senior in college and am will be graduating very soon and want to take one more math class. I have taken calculus 1 and 2 and linear algebra and discrete math. Is there any other math classes you would all recommend? Or any professional developers want to share what type of math they actually use in their jobs?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Math elective

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Math elective

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

The math used by most professional developers is very basic algebra. In terms of CS, combinatorics, graph theory, and number theory complement the degree well. If you're into graphics programming, differential equations is a good choice.

Beyond that, what does your school offer? What are you interested in?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 19 May 2013 - 09:57 AM, said:

The math used by most professional developers is very basic algebra. In terms of CS, combinatorics, graph theory, and number theory complement he degree well.
If you're into graphics programming, differential equations is a good choice.

Beyond that, what does your school offer? What are you interested in?

My school does have all those courses. the graph theory and combinatorics class is a graduate course, that I may be able to take as an undergrad. I am interested in databases and mobile development and A.I. I am currently working on small business applications to manage employees: time clock, employee tracker that sort of thing.

Another question: Does not doing an internship hurt me? I am not a traditional college student. I was in the army until I was medically retired and have switched careers and since I have 2 kids I just wanted to get through school as fast as possible. I am now at a critical point where I am trying to decide if it is best to go work in industry or go to grad school. I know with some career fields advanced degrees dont mater so much. Is grad school worth the investment?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:05 AM

If you're into AI, Graph Theory will be helpful. Game Theory is also a class to consider, though it's probably offered in the Econ department, not the Math department.

Does not doing an internship hurt me? I am not a traditional college student. I was in the army until I was medically retired and have switched careers

It depends on how much technical training you had in the army. The military service is definitely a plus. You may be starting at entry level though, while an internship may have helped you start a little bit higher, a little faster. Really, it depends on the employer and your ability to produce. A portfolio goes a long ways.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 19 May 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

If you're into AI, Graph Theory will be helpful. Game Theory is also a class to consider, though it's probably offered in the Econ department, not the Math department.

Does not doing an internship hurt me? I am not a traditional college student. I was in the army until I was medically retired and have switched careers

It depends on how much technical training you had in the army. The military service is definitely a plus. You may be starting at entry level though, while an internship may have helped you start a little bit higher, a little faster. Really, it depends on the employer and your ability to produce. A portfolio goes a long ways.

What is a programming portfolio? Is it like a website or something. I have a Dropbox account with some of my projects in there. Does that suffice as my portfolio?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

A portfolio is an organized collection of your work. It could be a website with your projects, just your projects themselves, a link to your github, etc. There are a number of ways you could organize it. The point of a portfolio is to show off your major projects to employers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

This is really an interesting piece. I dont know if these topics r offered in our school.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1