• (3 Pages)
  • +

31 Replies - 3771 Views - Last Post: 31 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I've burned out

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

Maybe it would be in your best interest to take one less or a few less classes next time, and join a club that revolves around your interests. A great way to meet new people, and a great way to have fun and unwind. That's what I did!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

I really struggle with this at times to. sometimes I want to do so much and I find myself in the middle not being able to accomplish it all or doing a mediocre job on most of it while failing something.
I have learned that for me to be at my best there are certain things that I have to take care of. I still stress and I still struggle but to a lesser degree if I follow these principles:
get enough sleep(on average)
eat solid meals
get some kinda social interaction regularly
and refocus my self by frequently spending a small amount of time nourishing my faith.

sure if I nix these things I can theoretically get more done(not that my life goal is simply to get more done) but I am not as happy and I dont have my full capacity to work with.
if I'm to busy on a regular basis to do these things than I am simply living like the racer that decides changing tires every so many laps is not all that important.

good luck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

View Postcarnivroar, on 19 May 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

I miss taking classes like Japanese and French and just studying things for fun without worrying about the future. I miss playing classical guitar, listening to music and going to the gym like I used to. I wish I could travel.

What do you do when you reach this point?

In the real world you will only be able to do those things again, if you are totally financially free. ie I would strongly focus on achieving this kind of freedom by creating wealth.(ie. make something people want)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

That just isn't true. You can play the guitar no matter how rich or poor you are (as long as you have one to start with). Listening to music is also cheap and a lot of people do it in their homes, on their commute and at their work.

The gym can be expensive but it is something that is affordable as long as you are in gainful employment or are a student (since most universities have very cheap gyms).

Classes and travelling are more of a time issue than a money issue for most. However, I bet even the busiest people could find one evening a week, and everybody gets holidays, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

Just wait until you burn out while you are the sole breadwinner for your entire family. Trying to fight through that is an absolute beast.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#21 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

View Postrealbuilder, on 24 May 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

View Postcarnivroar, on 19 May 2013 - 09:36 PM, said:

I miss taking classes like Japanese and French and just studying things for fun without worrying about the future. I miss playing classical guitar, listening to music and going to the gym like I used to. I wish I could travel.

What do you do when you reach this point?

In the real world you will only be able to do those things again, if you are totally financially free. ie I would strongly focus on achieving this kind of freedom by creating wealth.(ie. make something people want)

This is complete nonsense. You can only do these things by deciding to do them. If you put off doing the things you want to do until you have met some condition, you might as well forget about them, because you will never do them. It's no good spending your life meaning to play the guitar. If you want to play the guitar, find a way to make that part of your life now. You always have time to do the important things - everyone has twenty-four hours in the day, same as everyone. Your only decision is, what is really important to you?

Be careful with this. You get one life, and no refunds. Putting it off will not make you happier.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:30 AM

ok I referred to the "without worrying about the future" and "I want to travel" part. Those things will be quite hard to achieve, if you have to constantly worry about money/work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#23 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

View Postrealbuilder, on 24 May 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

ok I referred to the "without worrying about the future" and "I want to travel" part. Those things will be quite hard to achieve, if you have to constantly worry about money/work.

Says every hobo!

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Hey, that's not very PC!

Oh, you said hobo...carry on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 May 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

View Postrealbuilder, on 24 May 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

Says every hobo!

ha yeah wrapped up in burlap.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Still nonsense. If you want to travel, you don't need a lot of money. You need a lot of money to stay in expensive hotels and eat expensive food. If you're not a fool, you can travel very cheaply. You still have to work at it a bit, but a single person who really wants to do it can arrange to travel a hell of a lot. Again, it's just a matter of priorities - if you want to get to the end of your life and have traveled to lots of places, you can do that, and you should start now.

As for worrying about the future, that's a matter of saving, which you should be doing constantly in any case. You don't want to put off your life until you have enough to retire on, you'll be dead before you ever do anything. And you surely don't want your retirement planning to start with "First, become very wealthy..."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#27 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:46 AM

Burlap may not be cashmere, but when traveling you cannot beat the utility.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 May 2013 - 10:46 AM, said:

Burlap may not be cashmere, but when traveling you cannot beat the utility.

especially if you like to travel cheap like jon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

Yeah I guess if you feel the need to be wined and dined when traveling, sure..that doesn't fall under the provincial 'cashmere upgrade', but traveling cheap doesn't mean burlap tuxedos either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

I too used to get hung up on minute details of my programs. What I learned was it's not worth the time to rewrite based on every idea that pops in your head.

You need to learn the acceptable cut off point for making a program functional vs making it perfect to your standards. No company is willing to pay you to teeter totter on your code. Not every business wants Cadillac when a Buick would suffice.

A lot of project managers and team leads know what kind of throughput their team has and how much each developer delivers. Sadly, if you are delivering the least amount of code due to your tinkering or constant rewrites hoping to achieve programming bliss, it will be seen as a weakness.

In my experience, project managers appreciate and expect you to follow best practices. They have a general idea (or expectation) of how long stuff will take (of course everyone knows there is time consuming road blocks we encounter sometimes).

Unless you are developing a library or managing a program yourself, I honestly think micro tuning and over engineering (writing code in a manner where its easily scalable, predicting possible changes and features) is seen as a fault and considered non value added time to the project.

** Disclaimer ** - It is not my intention to condone writing bad code that's not maintainable. It just seems like most managers expect you to write boiler plate code that just gets the job done.

The time you save from not micro tuning and over engineering should relieve stress and give you time to focus on other things. Being aware that the code could be better based on certain principles and design patterns is great when they are needed.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +