5 Replies - 1498 Views - Last Post: 08 June 2013 - 04:39 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need Advice On Learning Ruby

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

Hey Everyone,

I have been looking into learning a new language for a while now and narrowed it down to PHP/Ruby out of which I decided to go with Ruby but I do have a couple of questions as this is all new to me. I currently use ASP.NET w/ C# for Web Development and have learnt a lot from the asp.net website tutorials and forum. Is there something similar for Ruby/Ruby on Rails? Coming from the world of .NET controls, Ruby has several libraries/plugins of open source controls, are there any recommended plugins that are commonly used for web development and moreover for a beginner what IDE would you guys recommend. I am currently doing my research on beginner books for Ruby on Rails development and have heard good things about Agile Web Development with Rails, any other book recommendations/video tutorials that would be helpful? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need Advice On Learning Ruby

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need Advice On Learning Ruby

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:39 AM

Moved to the Ruby forum.

There is a Ruby And Ruby On Rails Resources thread at the top of the Ruby forum. That should provide some place to start.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

Tops for me

Video Sites:
  • RailsCasts
  • CodeSchool

Books:
  • The Well Ground Rubyist (Beginner)
  • The Ruby Way (Intermediate)
  • Metaprogramming Ruby (ADVANCED)
  • Ruby on Rails Tutorial (Intermediate)
  • The Rails Way (Intermediate/Advanced)

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

View Poststaindromeo, on 19 May 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

Coming from the world of .NET controls, Ruby has several libraries/plugins of open source controls, are there any recommended plugins that are commonly used for web development

I'd be interested in hearing more about the world of .NET controls with regard to web development. I've only done WPF and Winfroms and didn't find myself breaking into the world of web dev via .NET for some reason.

In the ruby world, HTML 5 is the big deal, and Flash tends to be shunned quite a bit. Canvas, dom element manipulation is often favored. Also jquery tends to be used heavily. I personally don't use any of those widget frameworks, but that's just because I can never find the time to do hello world tuts for them.

HTML 5 is coming out with something called "Shadow DOM" which a lot of us ruby devs are pretty excited about for rapidly building reliable, reusable widgets using plain HTML 5 http://www.html5rock...ents/shadowdom/

Rails developers will probably use (for any given project):
Devise (user logins)
MySql/ postgres (database gems)
Pry (debugging)
Nokogiri (XML parsing)
Twitter bootstrap (for UI being done automatically)

For specific tasks, it's likely that the ruby world of gems will have exactly what you need if you search for it.

View Poststaindromeo, on 19 May 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

for a beginner what IDE would you guys recommend.

I found Aptana Studio 3 to be a comfortable IDE after switching from Visual Studio in making desktop apps. Vim is handy to know too, the IDEs aren't quite as helpful (or necessary) in dynamic languages such as ruby, but it sure is nice to be able to use Aptana to Ctrl+click a method call and have the IDE take you right to the declaration without having to sort out C-tags like vim makes you do.

P.S. the rails framework is so, so vast that it's hard to get a good feel for what it is without reading a massive tutorial, such as http://railstutorial...s-tutorial-book I strongly recommend going through it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Dude, you need to try this out... now. It is online and interactive, and totally free. They offer a gamification system for completing lessons on Ruby, Python, JQuery, HTML/Javascript/CSS, etc. Code Academy
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

If you're interested in the theoretical aspects of programming, you might consider walking through Dan Grossman's course on Programming Languages, on coursera. It's not a class on Ruby by any means, but he covers a lot of interesting material, and you'll have a start on Ruby when you're done. I personally have some real problems with the course, but since many people seem to like it, those might be my own issues - in any case, I did learn a good bit frmo the course, including lots of stuff about the languages covered.
The course is probably not being actively offered at the moment, but the materials should be available, and that's all you really need. (I'm not sure why people treat a coursera "course" as a "class", it's really a textbook with moving pictures - which is an advantage in some cases)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1