7 Replies - 2279 Views - Last Post: 11 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Which Graphic Card and Laptop

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:13 AM

Hi,
I am going to buy a laptop ,is Dell Inspiron any good ...

Two models are quite good for my needs Dell Inspiron 14R and Dell Inspiron 15R
what you guys think about it?

The two models differ in screen size and graphic cards ,the screen size doesn't matters much for me but the graphic card does, so I have two choices

1) NVIDIA GeForce GT730M 2GB VRAM
2) AMD Radoen HD 8730M 2GB VRAM

Both cards are almost similar,so I am confused what should I do...

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which Graphic Card and Laptop

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which Graphic Card and Laptop

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:55 AM

As far as I can see, the NVIDIA card has a slight performance edge. If that's your main concern, then that would be the one to choose.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:30 AM

Thanks for the reply

I think NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M score 2 points as its a bit better than AMD Radoen HD 8730M in performance and also it have drivers for linux which are better than ADM's drivers.

But I see AMD Radoen HD 8730M support full DirectX 11.1 in case of NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M it only support some features of DirectX 11.1,that's what making me thinking ,as for 3D development its better to have full DirectX 11.1,but again NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M have PhysX which is an another area I would like to explorer...

Any suggestions ....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:04 AM

View Postdebjit625, on 20 May 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

Hi,

1) NVIDIA GeForce GT730M 2GB VRAM
2) AMD Radoen HD 8730M 2GB VRAM

Both cards are almost similar,so I am confused what should I do...

i have been told that NVIDIA runs slower than AMD, its up to you select which one you want but the AMD looks good
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:15 AM

First, you're wrong. Blanket statements like that are always wrong, whichever brand you favour.
Neither is universally "slower" than the other. It always depends on the specific models and the intended use.

Second, this thread is almost a year old. Please do no resurrect ancient threads like this.
Not unless you've got some extremely useful info to add, at least.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:54 AM

@Atli - Sorry.

View PostTheCoolFactor, on 14 February 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

i have been told that NVIDIA runs slower than AMD, its up to you select which one you want but the AMD looks good

nVidia runs way faster then AMD, but its more expensive because lots of things.
First, Cirrus and ATi was creators of GPUs for 2D workers, cheap and perfect, and nVidia for gamers and 3D things, so ATi was the best option for Cads and similar "office" things, later ATi made big improvements, invented new alternatives to nVidia, trying to be equal as nVidia, and thay was, almost, until AMD took it and broke ATi. And nVidia was creating GPUs for 3D, so they always had higer performance and speed (similar to AMD for standard users and Intel for much complexed operations), thay are still leader in GPU world. For now AMD trying to get better ADS for CPU (eg. ADS multithreading in 2013... Intel have it in 2002., but ADS brings buyers) and GPUs like new PCI-E that can hold up to 48GB/sec, while nVidia have 24GB/sec limit, but, the most hardcore usage and the most powerfull GPU on the world today cant use more then 12GB/sec, nVidia got a future one with over 150GB/sec, but its not still needed, so they will save it, until time when it will bring profit. When it comes about price, AMD is low, and nVidia is high, and overall performances will be equal because AMD increasing things that is not needed to get higer overall score, basicly, AMD uses double more Watts then nVidia for the same performance, its not about the bills, its about temperature and having 2x nVidia GPUs for the same W, and we are here talking about laptop, so saving energy must be priority, then temperature and durability (and that is today not AMD), there is also nVidia GPUs that eats around 2000W, so there is always something better.
Then, AMD is lazy to make drivers, there is almost always some problems with drivers with AMD, i got VGA from Asus with AMD GPU, Asus made 2 drivers that is not stable, and AMDs drivers also not stable, still today, there is no drivers for that VGA, while nVidia is not that lazy. And nVidia have bigger price because it gives you lots of things that you will like, as a software and as a hardware (like Intel that gives you in CPU 3 times more and OP technologies then AMD for 3 times higer price, eg. several versions of AMD X6 cant workout with Floating Points Unit, he simply dont have FPU, and it decreating his performances, including OS crashes if FPU is needed) like originaly Shader that gamers likes, PhysX, CUDA, and all other things, and thay will always help you out. I was fan of AMD and ATi long time ago, then AMD broke ATi because financials, and new leader of AMD starts breaking AMD with that so lazy or fake ADS, but i can understand him, he just wanna try to sell something, while others even dont using ADSs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Enhance Your Calm
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

No offence, but I don't buy it. Some people tend to feel very strongly about their favourite brands (kind of like the whole Apple vs Android thing), and I've heard plenty of very convincing sounding arguments filled with technical jargon that ultimately means very little.

I'm not expert on the technical side of GPUs, but I do tend to keep up with benchmarks and such for new tech. Nothing I've seen would indicate to me that nVidia is generally faster than AMD. Their most pricey models seem to be in the lead of the benchmarks most of the time, granted, but that's hardly a big factor for most users. As soon as you move down from the "elite" end of the spectrum, into the high, middle and low priced models most everybody will be shopping for, the differences between the cards become far less pronounced, and you can easily find yourself looking at an AMD card as the best choice in those ranges.

Also, these days, when we are dealing with "gaming" laptops - those laptops who have ATI or nVidia GPUs at all - power consumption is hardly a deciding factor. It's to be expected that the battery won't keep you going for long when you're doing graphics intense things, like gaming. Those laptops also seem to be coming with a dual-card thing more and more now, where "normal" graphics processing is being delegated to a low-power Intel HD card, and the ATI/nVidia GPU is turned off and only used when required for 3D rendering. You can do normal desktop work without incurring the power consumption penalty of the 3D card.

As for the software. I've had disappointing experiences with both manufactures. Software gets buggy sometimes. It's a fact of life. Doesn't meant the manufacturer is "lazy".
(Might mean they need to re-evaluate their QA department though, which I'm sure has happened to both these companies more than once or twice.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

Yup, true about prices, that is why i like AMD too sometimes, but if someone got money and can chose (debjit625) something better, then go for Intel/nVidia as you said, and i said that too. Its laptop, so eating power is good thing, its maybe little faster, but offering you most of technologies that you will like to have. So i see it as 3:0 ratio, and i would go for nVidia in this chase.
I liked ATi too much for GPUs, after AMD took it, i become more nVidia fan, while i will stick with AMD CPUs most of the time, expect when im going to get someting much more better and expensive, then im going for Intel.

Feel sorry for you, its probably higly possible, i got products from both of them, i had only that issues with AMD, and i know lots of peoples who had it too, and on the internet you can find lots of them, but with nVidia i never had, there was some problems that i sow, some lets say classics but big problems, eg. because of Intel integrated GPU + nVidia external, or SLI and similar things, but most of them is fixed. In the end, i belive more in nVidia support then AMD, because of my last problems with drivers for one specific card, and later with Linux, maybe its Asus fail, its by AMD anyway, but they should figure it out before selling unusable product.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1