12 Replies - 338 Views - Last Post: 21 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Wordpress themes

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right section for my doubt, but here it goes: Is it possible to change the code of free themes of wordpress? If not, in premium themes is always possible?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Wordpress themes

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Wordpress themes

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

You have the actual files when you install the theme.. there is little reason on why you wouldn't be able to alter them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

I didn't get it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

As I said it's straightforward. You have a word press theme, right? You have all the files floating around in that wordpress's install directory... you can go change them all you want. I mean they are nothing more fancy than PHP, HTML, and CSS pages.

Typically:

public_html -> wp-content -> themes
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Ahhh, no. I have a free wordpress page. Like www.example.wordpress.com. And, as far as I know, isn't possible to change the files of the free theme, right?

Or, if I have a premium account (imagine www.example.com), I'm able now to change even the free themes files?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

That's a whole different ball of wax that you should have mentioned in the first post. As it is - a cursory search of their help files this turns up:

With the Custom Design upgrade, you can make your blog look and feel exactly the way you want. Easily customize the fonts in your theme with fonts from Typekit, instantly change your blog’s personality with our stunning and intelligent color palettes, and dive into CSS (Cascading Stylesheet) to make all the presentational changes you desire.

Custom Design is a paid upgrade that costs $30.00 per blog, per year.

The Custom Design upgrade replaces the Custom CSS and Typekit fonts upgrades.

You can find the Custom Design section in Appearance → Custom Design in your dashboard.

http://en.support.wo.../custom-design/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yes, you're right, I just saw that too. But I don't want to change the CSS files. I need to change PHP files. I'm going to put adsenses, so..you should probably know how it works.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Further down that page:

Does the Custom Design upgrade let me edit HTML?
No. The Custom Design upgrade allows you to edit fonts and CSS only. You can change the appearance of a theme, but not its HTML markup, PHP code, or content. If you require this functionality, please consider moving your blog to a web host that supports theme code modifications

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

Hm..you're opening my eyes. This is different than I thought.

But tell me something, I know an host which is compatible with Wordpress/Joomla. So, I know I have to host there the files of Wordpress right? If so, those files much be of a premium theme or can be of a free theme?

Probably none of those options, because of the last quote of what you said..I'm right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

But tell me something, I know an host which is compatible with Wordpress/Joomla. So, I know I have to host there the files of Wordpress right? If so, those files much be of a premium theme or can be of a free theme?

Probably none of those options, because of the last quote of what you said..I'm right?

I don't know what this means.

What you can do, and most hosting sites are cool with it, is go to https://wordpress.org/ , download the CMS, upload/install it on your new host, and use as your normally would - but now with complete control over all the files there (as in you can edit, change, modify, delete, etc) them, but on the flip side you are also in control of the security for your site so you need to be an admin as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

Hi,

Yes, you're right. I will download the CMS than a theme and upload it to my CMS.

More 2 questions:

1) - All the content I have in my current blog (example.wordpress.com) can I put it inside of the new site? I think so, because wordpress have an option on (tools > export > XML), and it says I can import that file after exporting it. Altough, do you have any kind of experience with this? It really works?

2) - I know that (from what I read), Google AdSense needs at least 6 month of website on (am I wrong?), well my blog is on more than a year..but I'll change it to a new domain.. even with the whole information I have, I'll have to wait 6 months? (or isn't 6 months at all?)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

1) - All the content I have in my current blog (example.wordpress.com) can I put it inside of the new site? I think so, because wordpress have an option on (tools > export > XML), and it says I can import that file after exporting it. Altough, do you have any kind of experience with this? It really works?

Yes it works. If you are concerned then don't delete your wordpress.com site until you have finally setup your new site and host.

2) - I know that (from what I read), Google AdSense needs at least 6 month of website on (am I wrong?), well my blog is on more than a year..but I'll change it to a new domain.. even with the whole information I have, I'll have to wait 6 months? (or isn't 6 months at all?)

I guess it depends on the site, content, and where you are out of. I believe the sixmonths really only affects the high risk spam countries.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

I won't delete my example.wordpress.com, I will only put a href link saying that now I own the domain.

I've been reading alot about the adSense and the conditions..and they are very!

But I don't see nowhere, talking about the minimum of website "age". I see them talking about the content of a website. Because I'll transfer the content of my blog to the new website, I think i'm going to have enough content to be able to put adsenses in my pages.

And, btw, for those who probably would read this topic, read very carefull the conditions and terms about adsenses!

For now, I don't have any kind of doubt..but I'll keep in touch. Thank you very much for your answers, they were very helpfull!

This post has been edited by Keylogger: 21 May 2013 - 06:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1