2 Replies - 832 Views - Last Post: 26 August 2007 - 09:07 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can Anyone Help?

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:46 PM

Hi friends,
I am a nonprofit and I am trying to figure out how to create a social networking site for my members and volunteers on a budget. Do you know where we could get some help with this? Any recommendation will be appreciated
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can Anyone Help?

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can Anyone Help?

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:59 PM

Well first you need to decide which technologies you want to use, i.e: PHP & mySQL, Ruby & mySQL, .Net & SQL, ColdFusion & mySQL, etc.

Next you need to get a pen (or pencil) and paper and write down a few things
  • What features/functionality do you want in your system
  • What type of layout/GUI do you want
  • Outline the general flow of data from methods to the database
  • General flow of the methods themselves

Once you have your list made then you need to take #1 and pritorize them, what is crucial just to launch, what is 2nd most important, and so on, and give yhourself deadlines on this functionality/modules.

Once that is done, then move on to #2 on the list. Draw out your User Interface on paper, then take that into a graphics program (I personally recommend Photoshop myself) then graphically recreate that image.

Then, since by now you have the technologies listed you want to use, if you're not sure how to do it, buy some books or use Google for tutorials in that language. You should do all of this before ever writing a single line of code. All of these items are crucial to the completion of the project, never go into it blind, you'll never finish it.

Then, once you're coding it, if you run into problems you cannot solve by yourself, post your code in these forums (pick the forum for the language you're using), give a good explanation of what you're trying to do, what the code is currently doing, and any errors you're receiving.

Just my 2 cents :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Can Anyone Help?

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:07 PM

Hmmm!!
I would like to recommend you for wonderful site called rsitez.com itís provides lots of features and tools for creating a successful social network site. Itís pretty inexpensive but you will get excellent services. Hope this help you.
Best of luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1