Xbox One vs PS4

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

134 Replies - 5147 Views - Last Post: 03 July 2013 - 02:10 AM

Poll: Xbox One vs PS4 (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Which are you more inclined to buy?

1. Xbox One (10 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

2. PS4 (21 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

3. Both (5 votes [13.89%])

Percentage of vote: 13.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Xbox One vs PS4

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Well, my PS2 is broke, and if I could upgrade while still being able to play my old games, then yay. Buuuuuttttt.... I guess not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

What is wrong with your PS2?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

go buy a used one for like 25 dollars. why spend 600 or whatever these end up being to play those games? that seems like a seriously misguided way to spend money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

That's why I emulate.

One central location for all my games.

I owned the console, I own the game, I just play it through my computer for convenience. I used to have ALL my consoles connected, and it's a PAIN IN THE ASS!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

With that all that computational power. neither implement a compatibility mode. By virtualizing the XBox360 OS
Especially Microsoft, since they have access to HyperV.

This post has been edited by AdamSpeight2008: 23 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

I WAS TALKING ABOUT KILLING 2 BIRDS WITH ONE STONE GAWD!!!!! It won't read discs anymore.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

Yeah im definitely inclined towards a PS4. That is, after it becomes reasonably priced which will be a while after first release. :)

This post has been edited by crawfjm: 24 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

I will buy a PS4 at launch just because I like the Sony Exclusives a lot more, and next year when tax time rolls around I will invest in a Xbox One.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

So far I'm not dying for either console. In recent years I fell away from gaming as I was more interested in working multiple jobs and watching my bank account rocket up. I have never owned an XBOX, always having been a PlayStation fan, but was tempted for a small time with XBOX 360. Personally I just prefer the look, feel, and function of a PS3 over an XBOX, not to mention the usual arguments of not having to pay to play my games online. The whole Kinect integration with higher quality reading of player movements and voice commands is cool, but in my eyes more a gimmick than a feature I'm willing to pay for. I do still play occasionally, but nowadays my PS3 is more for Netflix and the rare Blu-ray than for shooting people.

View Postno2pencil, on 23 May 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

Not all PS3's are 100% backwards compatible. From what little research that I have done through repairs, the initial PS3's were backwards compatible, by quite literally having the PS2 board integrated into the PS3 motherboard. This didn't help heating issues, & eventually units were overheating & the backwards compatibility was removed.

Again, I'm no expert in the matter, & if I'm wrong, please provide documentation or links :)

Been awhile since I did the research so can't provide links at the moment, but a basic rule of thumb is if your PS3 has 4 USB ports on the front, it's backwards compatible. I think there might have been certain 60GB models between specific dates that were manufactured with playback capability while not having the 4 USB port design, but again it's been awhile.

This post has been edited by AnalyticLunatic: 24 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

It's on wikipedia for the most part, look under models:

http://en.wikipedia....i/PlayStation_3

first two models (the 20GB CECHBxx and 60GB CECHAxx) had FULL hardware backwards compatibility to both PS2 and PSX because it had the PS2 mobo onboard.

the next 2 models (the 60GB CECHCxx and 80GB CECHExx) had removed that and emulated the PS2 compatibility. Because it was emulated it had limited selection of PS2 games that were supported. There's a list of them out there.

All versions after that removed the PS2 support all together.

PSX support was added in emulation mode on ALL thru a firmware update.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 24 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

PS4 THA´S ALL!

Great, Cool, I mean is PS...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

YEAH
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

Here's my thought though...

Both the Xbox One and PS4 are moving towards a x86_64 architecture with ATI GPU units in them. Pretty standard, off the shelf hardware. Nothing to special, most of our computers have comparable hardware in them.

So...

How hard does one think it'll be for the emulator crowd to emulate these things. Especially since they could just tack right into EXISTING hardware on your machine. IF a game doesn't already get a PC version, emulating it should be a nearly simple task.

It's not like PS2 emulators having to emulate a bunch of crazy processors that need to be perfectly sinked (the thing has like 8 separate processing units for various taks, let alone that fucking cell chip).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

That might be exactly what they want; making games easier to port. It would be great for game developers to not have to build to more or less separate versions of their games. If both consoles are running similar hardware that is identical to PC hardware, a single code-base - with relatively minor specific alterations for each console - could potentially be used to cover all of them.

Would mean huge savings for companies, and probably a lot more PC games being ported to the consoles.

And I imagine you are right, LOD, that emulators will be popping up all over the place. Sony and Microsoft are probably trusting that most normal users are already preferring gaming consoles over PCs, and only a small amount of users will be emulating on a PC. (After all, most normal users I know have a hard time hooking up a printer without panicking. Can't exactly imagine them trying to run an XBox/PS emulator smoothly...)

Hell, they may just release emulators themselves so they can charge PC games for playing their console games on PCs as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

It'd be great for game developers, if they want to cross platform. (though this neglects the fact that most games just need the engine ported, where as the regular gameplay sits on top of that engine and is alredy cross-platform. So really it's only making the engineers job easier... thing is their job is already fairly relaxed considering they make an engine, then just resale it to every other developer out there)

But from a hardware perspective... what's the point?

Everyone has been raving that they'll get the PS4 for its exclusives. And by exclusives they mean games that are developed by SONY (or SONY subsidiaries). Meaning that the only reason I can't get "Happy Ms. Finicker and her looting adventure" on my groobbox has nothing to do with the groobbox's capabilities but just because some big-wig over at boogerfarts didn't want to release it there.

I'd rather a PC.

And that's why I give a nod to the Xbox One, and the Nintendo Wii U. They're attempting to do something unique. They aren't just a x86_64 computer with a SONY logo painted on it.

Instead I can get a game for the Xbox One or Wii U that is really unique... and experience I am unable to get over on rivaling hardware, and not just because that hardware company happens to restrict the publishing of some IP, but because they offer something unique hardware wise... making me want their hardware.

Here's the thing, when I was a kid, I had a Master System and a Genesis. They offered something I couldn't get elsewhere. The NES and SNES had their unique hardware that offered up certain capabilities that Sega didn't offer. And they both offered something I couldn't get elsewhere (namely a pc) with out spending over a thousand dollars. It was an affordable game computing device.

Today though, the console is just a fucking PC, for nearly the same price. I can build an 8 core AMD with and ATI GPU for 500 bucks... easy. Probably have money left over. WHAT ARE THEY OFFERING ME? Other than a stupid IP that is only on the PS4 because YOU bought it.

That's like saying, "I'ma go buy this special DVD player that only plays DVDs from a certain company, cause I like their movies." Instead of saying, "Bitch ass company, release that movie on regular DVD, ass tard."

Fuck Sony.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 24 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »