2 Replies - 1322 Views - Last Post: 23 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Getting A Job

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

I'm currently studying to be Java 6 Oracle Certified, I am doing this privately, not through a university.

Now what would be the best thing for me to do to get into a company where I can get experience?(once Ive passed the exam) baring in mind that this is my first computer language, I wont have a university degree and i have no previous commercial experience!

How can I convince a company to take me on and prove to them that I wont be wasting their time?

Any information on this would be a great help! Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting A Job

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting A Job

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

Read through the posts here and in the student section.. see the advice there.. make a portfolio of semi complex applications showing your design, code, documentation, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting A Job

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Especially at the start, a large part of job-hunting is connections. A strong recommendation from someone known to the person doing the hiring is a very hard signal to fake. This is where internships and volunteer work can really help you: if you've done something real for someone, and they're willing to tell others about you, then you're in a better position than someone who just has a pile of certifications (yawn) or degrees (likewise) Internships are harder for someone not affiliated with an educational institution, so that's a little tricky for you, but it's something that works for many people.

If you can become a strong committer on an open source project that people are actually using, that's also a good signal: a potential employer can see first of all that you're an active programmer, not just a student with aspirations, and they can see what sort of things you can do. Again, hard to fake.

If you want to get in just on the strength of credentials and interview, spend some time learning things outside of simple programming. Study algorithms, get the basic math under your belt, learn some things about design (knowing the basics of the standard design patterns, for example) and understand things about people, like how to work with them to make a big thing. Be able to talk about these things. A guy who knows java backwards and forwards is good, but if that person can understand what that code is doing and why you want to do it that way, they're valuable.

The trouble is that every employer is different, and they're not all looking for the same things, so it's hard to make general statements, but it can't hurt to give someone the impression of multifaceted competence and independence of mind, while avoiding the impression of overconfidence. They don't want someone who needs a lot of hand-holding, but they don't want a know-it-all who's going to second-guess every decision.

Tough to pull off, I know, but many people figure it out, so you might manage it as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1