6 Replies - 2483 Views - Last Post: 31 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Do you get nervous around professors?

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hey Guys,

I have this problem. I am normally a cool and relaxed kind of guy, but for some reason when I talk to my professors (and I can also extend this to my bosses), I get super nervous and jittery.
I can't get my point across very clearly nor am I able to deliver witty remarks. Sometimes my teachers will make a joke with me and I am so nervous that I don't realize it was a joke until I go back to my seat.

I guess there's a part of me that really wants them to like me, so I put too much pressure on myself?

Does anyone else suffer from this problem (I use the term "suffer" very loosely)? If you do or did, how do you deal with it or how did you get over it?

It's not a huge deal when I act like this around my teachers, but like I mentioned, I get like this when I'm around my bosses at work too. I feel like no boss would ever promote me just because he/she thinks I'm super weird.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do you get nervous around professors?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do you get nervous around professors?

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

It's call shyness and being social awkward. I have dealt with it all my life but have gotten much better over the years. The trick is to just keep talking to them and be the one to start the conversation. Practice being social and forget the fact that you might make a mistake. You will! Just keep throwing yourself out there even if it is scary to do so. Shyness is nothing more than the phobia of being noticed by new people.

You have to force yourself to go into these social settings and practice chatting. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

If it's a professor in the field you are interested in, ask him or her about their research if you're in office hours. They really do love to talk about it. And who knows- you might find common ground.

If you're taking the class with other people, go in with them to office hours when you need help. A group dynamic helps dissipate some of the awkwardness as well, and it makes the professor seem less intimidating.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:53 AM

Try to picture them naked.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

no, My professors were all really cool down to earth people. Unlike most professors who are long time acedemics, the ones I had actually worked in the field so they knew how it was out in the real world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:53 AM

If you're ok around other people, then maybe you're just thinking of these particular people as different. So, keep in mind, they aren't. People are people.

If they're older, then they're just older. People are pretty much the same, regardless of age. Once you realize that, "adults" won't freak you. Hint, most people never really grow up significantly, they just usually fake it. Put a bunch of "grownups" in a classroom setting and they often start acting like school kids. It's kind of amusing.

I've met many people over the years. Some powerful, or famous, or rich, or, well, definitely different from little ole me, but they're still just people. Indeed, strikingly, wealth and success seem to have no correlation whatsoever to intelligence. :P

Everyone you meet is still basically like the idiots you're familiar and comfortable with. It will help to keep that in mind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 31 May 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

If you're ok around other people, then maybe you're just thinking of these particular people as different. So, keep in mind, they aren't. People are people.

If they're older, then they're just older. People are pretty much the same, regardless of age. Once you realize that, "adults" won't freak you. Hint, most people never really grow up significantly, they just usually fake it. Put a bunch of "grownups" in a classroom setting and they often start acting like school kids. It's kind of amusing.

I've met many people over the years. Some powerful, or famous, or rich, or, well, definitely different from little ole me, but they're still just people. Indeed, strikingly, wealth and success seem to have no correlation whatsoever to intelligence. :P/>

Everyone you meet is still basically like the idiots you're familiar and comfortable with. It will help to keep that in mind.

Excellent advice!
I think I am starting to realize what you say is true as well.

I will keep this in mind when I deal with ppl.

Instead of picturing them naked, I think shall picture them as children.

Thanks again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1