2 Replies - 578 Views - Last Post: 29 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hobbyist programmer

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:49 AM

Hello all,

I'm a 44 year old Physics teacher and I'm having a bit of a mid-life crisis.

I've been bitten by the programming bug after buying a new laptop that can handle graphics.

I have discovered the joys of XNA (had already used C# to make a few simple apps for my teaching at school, little windows form revision games only a few years ago).

I did have a bash one summer ago of trying to learn directx 9 with C++ as I bought Frank Luna's book. To be honest it was a bit much and I found it very frustrating. I didn't have the staying power i needed so gave it up.

After getting my new laptop though and discovered this thing called XNA I have progressed form a few little 2D platform games with animated sprites to working on a 3D first person tank shoot-em up.

Although I'm still going through quite a learning curve and get frustrated when things don't work right I am enjoying it and having fun. I seem to be able to solve the probs eventually, or find help online.

Infact what brought me to this forum was the fact that i couldn't work out what was wrong with my tank models looking see through and it turned out that writing 2d font letters down as the score had effects the alphablend that had to be re-set.

I'd been grappling all yesterday evening with that one!

Anyway I'm busy with 2 small kids but do find myself enjoying coding in the evening rather than watching rubbish TV.

I'm determind to see this project through and come up with a decentish looking game, just for my own enjoyment. I'm going to try and put some sound into my tanks this week and put some textured walls around my playing surface.

What a shame about microsofts decision to not continue with XNA! Not that I can produce the quality of stuff that could be sold but still it would have been nice if they'd have kept evolving the framework.

kind regards,
Dale

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hobbyist programmer

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hobbyist programmer

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

Welcome!

Yeah XNA is a great place to muck around in, but that whole 'sunsetting' of the framework is a downer.. Hopefully MS will get on board with revealing a new framework that folks can invest some time into, but for right now it still looks like the directx route.

Make sure to start a post in the 'share your project' when you make some headway with your game!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Hobbyist programmer

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

I will thanks.

At least monogame looks promising.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -