3 Replies - 1396 Views - Last Post: 03 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Thinking about pursuing a masters?

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Hi guys, I finally graduated this past spring(woohoo!) and I'm thinking about pursuing a masters degree. I got my Bachelors in IT. I currently work in change management, which deals with a lot of administration and management aspects of the software development life cycle. My career objective is to work in the IT Security field or as an architect and eventually open my own consulting firm. I would like to get experience life "in the trenches" as far as development and administration goes, but I would also like leadership, management, and "big picture" experience as well.

I was thinking of a degree in MIS, perhaps with a concentration in Information Security, but the general MIS degrees seem to be more general. I was also thinking of pursuing certifications. I was going to do A+ first, but I hear a lot of people say at this point it's no real use since I already have some experience and my degree. Anybody have any advice as far as a career path goes?

This post has been edited by glenak1911: 29 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Thinking about pursuing a masters?

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Thinking about pursuing a masters?

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Moved to Student Campus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

I would say that you could go for the CompTIA Security+ certificate if you wanted to do a certificate program at all, but at this point with your degree I wouldn't worry about continuing on unless you wanted to go into more of the Theory of IT.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

Thanks rgfirefly24, I'll look into the CompTIA Security+ certificate. So as far as another degree goes, you don't think there will be much use in pursuing a general MIS degree?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1