3 Replies - 545 Views - Last Post: 03 June 2013 - 02:15 AM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Civil Unrest in Turkey

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

Have you guys been following the news in Turkey? People have been protesting the governments actions including the recent decision to demolish an historical public park to put in Instabul's 94th shopping center. At first the protests were peaceful until a sudden police raid in which the police burned tents, tear gassed, pepper sprayed, plastic bullets, and water cannoned the protesters.

Here's an explanation to fully understand:

For those who are asking for an explanation that your average American will understand...
Both by tradition and by constitutional mandate, Turkey is a secular country. Separation of church and state, basically - but just like in the US, there's always been some friction about the degree of separation.
Just like in the US, people in rural areas tend to be more religious, people in urban areas tend to be less so - but keep in mind, when I say "more religious", I am talking about Muslims, but not Jihadis or fundamentalists or whatever term you prefer.
Anyway, the ruling government in Turkey has been increasingly Islamist for the last few years, and has been pushing unusually hard towards the 'more religion' side of the equation. As opposition has increased, the government has become increasingly hostile and repressive.
The Turkish military is a secular organization. Several times in the past when the rural areas of the country elected a ruling group that went too far towards Islamic law in government, the military has stepped in, overthrown the government in a coup, then returned to civil elections once everybody calmed down.
So is Turkey headed for a Syrian-type civil war? No. The Turkish police are under the thumb of the government, but the military is not, and just like in Egypt, the military is the real power. If the current government is overthrown, there will be elections again - but unlike Egypt, fundamentalist organizations don't have major power in Turkey, and are unlikely to wield a controlling influence.
EDIT: Spelling.
EDIT 2: Let me clarify one thing that seems to be causing a lot of confusion. When you say 'government' to an American, they tend to think of the entire permanent edifice of governing - everything from the congress to the IRS to the EPA to the military. But Turkey has a parliamentary system (like the UK) so when you say 'government' in that context, you're talking about the ruling (or majority) party.
Like for example, when "Nigel Snuffleknickers has been elected Prime Minister, and will now begin assembling the new government" - it doesn't mean the whole thing gets scrapped and rebuilt. It just means new people in charge.

(from here)

Some information:
The military has been helping the people as much as they can, police have been attacking the military
Police have been dropping tear gas canisters from helicopters, has caused fires.
Many major news organizations, all local ones, refuse to report the protests
Reports of police crowd control vehicles being hijacked
50-100 police turning in their badges and joining protesters

You can read more about it here:
http://www.vice.com/...ecome-a-warzone
http://resistaksim.tumblr.com/
http://neobeatgeneration.tumblr.com/

Also, pretty interesting as we see this mass censorship in the media going on, the internet has become a huge tool in spreading the news.

So my question is, what do you guys think about this? What do you guys think will happen? I think the whole thing is a huge violation of human rights and I hope the Turkish people find peace.

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 01 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Civil Unrest in Turkey

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Civil Unrest in Turkey

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

Wow, so many policemen joined the revolution, such brave men. Let's see if there is any source of weapons for the protesters
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

Damn, last time I looked they had only just started burning down tents and tear gassing the place. :( I really don't know what to think, so I'll merely browse from here on out. I just hope there aren't that many casualties.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:15 AM

Turkey will have to be careful, else it'll have the stuffing knocked out of it.

On a more serious note though, I like their system. The military forces the government to keep religion out of politics. This is sensible, I think, as religion just confuses issues.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1