• +

36 Replies - 1648 Views - Last Post: 21 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Intel's Haswell processor info...

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

June 2nd finally came and if you are into the whole 'build your own desktop' market then intel's fourth-gen 'Haswell' announcement was on your schedule.

The NewEgg promo video did a decent job sketching out what's up with this iteration:

NewEgg's pricing

The gist from the video
  • new socket LGA1150
  • all quad core
  • FIVR - Fully integrated voltage regulators (the processor distributes the power to the rails I guess)
  • more MSATA for caching and boot drives
  • While the TDP number went up it should be better because of FIVR
  • Push for native SATA 6 ports so that means RAID 0, 1, 5, 10
  • The thermal attachment points will be the same so no need for new connections on your over clocking.
  • i5 4670k and i7 4770k are main OC (k still means unlocked)
  • better tweaking range of the base clock and multiplier
  • you can overclock the graphics bit
  • native triple monitor support (assuming one is a display port or widi)
  • you can buy with or without the fan on the k series
  • i3, pentium, celerons will be out later this year

"Haswell adds about the same 10 to 15 percent performance boost that Ivy Bridge took over Sandy Bridge, with yet another big reduction in power and heat generated. It's obviously a huge step for laptops where performance-per-watt is paramount,"
cite1

Engadget's shake down on the launch for June 4th launch

AnandTech's break down with pretty pictures.

I am still sitting with an old AMD and I think this may really push on getting an upgrade done (it'll be one heck of a jump). Mobile wise it's to be seen how well the battery savings are, but it should be grand.

Is anyone else looking at swapping out tech for the new chip, or is it lacking some of the razzle with the dazzle?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Intel's Haswell processor info...

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Intel's Haswell processor info...

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

They don't look bad at all.

Seeing as I currently have an i7-3770K, upgrading is kind of pointless for me, the benefits are so minimal that I'd hardly notice it.

For those coming from older 1st or 2nd gens i#, or coming from older AMDs, this would definitely be a good chip to purchase.

I wish they'd offer up more cores though, my virtual server is still a 1st gen i7 with 4 cores and hyper-threading. My only option for more cores is either their 6-core 'extreme version' (which is a no go in my book... 1000 bucks, yuck). Or go Xeon... which again is 1200+ and the motherboards are insanely priced. There is the 600 dollar 6-core Sandy Bridge, which is reasonably priced in my book for what it is, but I was hoping for more options this round.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 02 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

Just a heads up - I decided to get off my duff and jump on some deals with the new chip and bring my aging system up into the modern world.

- Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell
- MSI H87-G43

I figured I didn't need all the super duper overclocking of the Z87's... and the H87 boards everything I needed and a bit more manageable price.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

ill just stick to my commodore 64--- less headaches
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

What do you think runs my 5.5" floppy exchange, and tape back ups?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

I'd like to see an objective benchmark test versus Gen 3 procs.

I've always built my own desktops and am running a Core i5-2500k at 3.3Ghz and there is nothing I run software-wise these days that so much as strains my box. This new proc requires a new board and so unless the performance improvement would be leaps and bounds better, it's probably not something I'd really consider.

Mind you, I tend to allow several tech innovations to compile such that a new box build would be a real step up. I went from an AMD Venice proc to the i5 and went from 4Gb memory to 16Gb, bigger/faster HD, way faster vid card and so on. The kids get my old boxes so when I go to build a new one, it's pretty much everything new.

For me, this proc on its own wouldn't be nearly compelling enough to scrap the proc and mobo I have now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

That's always the measures of new tech. I've lapsed on a core build for about five years now.. and have been running a 6000+ X2.. just threw more RAM, videocard, or drives in as I went. Time for a change!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Now that it's got me thinking on it though, I might should spec a new box...just for fun.

If I were to invest $ in hardware right now, it'd be new monitors (I'd probably expand my two 22" monitors to four 24"s). My current rig does fine and it'll likely last me a few more years before I need to upgrade but it never hurts to see what I could build if I had to do so today.

I'd certainly look into the new procs (although that goes against my usual "don't be a first adopter" rule of thumb) which would mean a new mobo, probably more memory, I'd have a look at the SSDs and see what they have to offer, and I have zero idea how my current video card (XFX Radeon HD 6770 1GB) stacks up performance-wise against what's out there now. That and a decent set of new speakers and a reasonable case to put all that stuff in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

For me - a new motherboard was to happen if I flipped to Intel or went AMD's Vishera eight-cores.... and of course memory.. and PSU... and phase out my IDE drives.. ugh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

Yeah coming from a 2500 or better really isn't worth it right now. That's why I didn't get the new processor, I have a 3770k in my PC and it just doesn't make sense to spend the 500 bucks it'd take to upgrade.

Instead I went and bought a new 500gb Samsung 840 SSD, and I'm saving up for a the new GeForce 770. I haven't upgrade my GPU in a long while, so I'll get more oomph out of that.

I now have my 256gb Samsung 830 sitting here though... not sure what I want to do with it. Maybe put it in my laptop... maybe my virtual server... not sure. (I upgraded to the 500 because I was running out of space... to much software installed on my machine. Someone suggested putting the software on a HDD. Dafuq I do that for? The whole point of the SSD is for faster loading.)

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 12 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

I just upgraded my primary drive to SSD (it's a 256GB Samsung 840). I can't believe I've never done it before. I knew it was the right decision by the time Windows was done installing: I planned to go run a few errands while I waited for it to finish, so after I started it I went and got ready to leave. When I came back to check on it (before I even left), it was done and ready for me to configure it. I've seriously considered buying an SSD to put in my work machine so that it doesn't drive me crazy.

Back on topic, I think I'm about due to upgrade my old Phenom II, and I've wanted to do an intel build anyway. Modi, what do you think of that MSI board?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

It's still in route at the moment. I think tomorrow's going to be build day... though that means figuring out where my old installs were stashed, and how to appropriately rip my old data off my IDEs and what will just be 'long term storage' in my pile of hard drives in the closet.

I opted against the Z87 boards - I figure I won't be overclocking this processor (and I didn't get one with a 'k' to do that anyways), but maybe at the end of the year when more chip variations come out I might. I jumped on the 'H87' which is a more modest board, but not their lower end boards.

You may want to read: Z87, H87, H81, Q87, Q85, B85 - What is the difference?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

Reading...

EDIT: Good to know. I found the part about mobo manufacturers nerfing the H87 boards particularly interesting, I'll have to get on Newegg and see if it seems to ring true. Thanks for the link.

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 13 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

I don't really stay up to date with the LATEST and GREATEST in the CPU world because it's a thing I buy every 5 years or so. One thing I think is annoying is how each side is using mysterious benchmarks to say their CPU is like a million times faster than the competing side- when I go shopping for desktop CPUs it's almost always the case where I find an Intel CPU and an AMD CPU roughly equally as powerful as the other except the AMD one is about 1/3rd the price followed by a bunch of people pointing out the Intel one is made out of fairy dust and is better and therefore the performance per buck is better for Intel.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

The install went well. Ended up doing a fresh install, bit everything is humming along nicely. Pretty snappy so far, and damn quiet. The new power supply helps with that as well!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +