• « First

514 Replies - 26860 Views - Last Post: 15 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

#511 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New Minecraft Thread

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

I am having a hilarious time looking at the jarring nature of my old single player seed generated map generating terrain based on the new algorithm.

I just found my first mesa/grand canyon thing.. I didn't know what the hell that was, it was dark, and I was on a boat, but pretty snazzy. Clay for everyone!

I also have a strong suspicion that someone is logged into my map and trolling me while playing. Many.. conspicuous things are a foot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

So apparently M$ bought Mojang for $2.5 bil.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#513 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

Yup.. I think notch is happy to get out of it. His resignation letter was.. interesting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Oh? I didn't see this letter...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#515 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

notch.net/2014/09/im-leaving-mojang

Iím leaving Mojang
September 15th, 2014

I donít see myself as a real game developer. I make games because itís fun, and because I love games and I love to program, but I donít make games with the intention of them becoming huge hits, and I donít try to change the world. Minecraft certainly became a huge hit, and people are telling me itís changed games. I never meant for it to do either. Itís certainly flattering, and to gradually get thrust into some kind of public spotlight is interesting.

A relatively long time ago, I decided to step down from Minecraft development. Jens was the perfect person to take over leading it, and I wanted to try to do new things. At first, I failed by trying to make something big again, but since I decided to just stick to small prototypes and interesting challenges, Iíve had so much fun with work. I wasnít exactly sure how I fit into Mojang where people did actual work, but since people said I was important for the culture, I stayed.

I was at home with a bad cold a couple of weeks ago when the internet exploded with hate against me over some kind of EULA situation that I had nothing to do with. I was confused. I didnít understand. I tweeted this in frustration. Later on, I watched the This is Phil Fish video on YouTube and started to realize I didnít have the connection to my fans I thought I had. Iíve become a symbol. I donít want to be a symbol, responsible for something huge that I donít understand, that I donít want to work on, that keeps coming back to me. Iím not an entrepreneur. Iím not a CEO. Iím a nerdy computer programmer who likes to have opinions on Twitter.

As soon as this deal is finalized, I will leave Mojang and go back to doing Ludum Dares and small web experiments. If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, Iíll probably abandon it immediately.

Considering the public image of me already is a bit skewed, I donít expect to get away from negative comments by doing this, but at least now I wonít feel a responsibility to read them.

Iím aware this goes against a lot of what Iíve said in public. I have no good response to that. Iím also aware a lot of you were using me as a symbol of some perceived struggle. Iím not. Iím a person, and Iím right there struggling with you.

I love you. All of you. Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I canít be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, itís belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change.

Itís not about the money. Itís about my sanity.

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (35 Pages)
  • +
  • « First