Programmer Wanted - Someone Who is Tired of Nonsense

• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 2418 Views - Last Post: 04 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Programmer Wanted - Someone Who is Tired of Nonsense

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

My name is Jonathan White. My background is in art and my education is in design. I can't find work and I've had closed doors after closed doors. I'm tired. I'm disheartened. I'm embarrassed. I just want to work in games without all the nonsense, people bailing on projects and the like.

I'm looking for one programmer. Just one. I don't want a fleet of people working because that is a disaster waiting to happen. Been down that road. So, I need one person who is:

-Capable of building an engine. 2D sprites, particles, weight(?), UI, gameplay, simple enemy AI... the works. We're making a game after all.
-Collaborating and communicating over Skype/e-mail/other services. We'll be sharing phone numbers as well, most likely.
-Ready to commit. I don't know how long it will take. There will be a lot of frustrations, blood sweat and tears. We may not have anything for months but we're smart (you're smarter than me), committed, we're going to have milestones, a business model, keep one another in check. You're through screwing around and you're ready to commit for yourself and your career. You're ready to make this a portion of your life. Not just an hour here and there.
-Honest and have integrity.
-You can visualize things in your main pretty well.

Bonus points if you
-Tend to like competitive, cooperative, team games, and otherwise games that don't spoon feed you victory.
-Tend to like retro style graphics, 2D art, but you also play newer games as well. You're a farily well rounded gamer.
-Can take criticisms well. Same with me. If you think something should be changed, you're not afraid to say something.
-Gave played cooperative games, understand concepts like the trinity and action based combat.
-Can do "network stuff". This will be a cooperative game.
-Have experience with scheduling, management,
-You can write. Totally optional, but would be cool.

If you're interested, my e-mail is my user name @gmail.com or my Skype name is "xflopjack". Serious inquires only. I can't stress this enough. Do not be that guy who is excited for a few weeks then suddenly isn't heard from again. I'm not trying to be mean, I would love to hear from all of you and chill out and eat pizza, but I can't. I love pizza though.

We'll discuss the details and we can figure out if we're a good fit and if you're interested.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programmer Wanted - Someone Who is Tired of Nonsense

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programmer Wanted - Someone Who is Tired of Nonsense

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

Moving to Post a Job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 andrewsw  Icon User is online

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

Curiosity has gotten the better of me: What are you bringing to the equation? (Apart from being tired, disheartened.)

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 03 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. My skills are in design, art (sprites in this case), documentation and management, though I see this as a collaboration rather than me over you. If you're interested, we can talk about the details and I can show you my work, design and art experience.

Does the equation balance out?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

1. What is your game making experience?
2. Why are you expecting others to take on a full-time job without pay?

This post has been edited by ButchDean: 03 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostButchDean, on 03 June 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

I have a degree in game design & art. I worked on BriskSaber as a designer, a mobile game and promotional piece between Pepesi's Brisk iced tea and Star Wars. I put together a small team for Idiom Power, a cheesy but effective English idiom learning game for a San Francisco based writer and language teacher.

I have a few indie games that I've tried to get the ball rolling on such as The Last Sunshine, but for one reason or another, people just left the project. If people get bored or loose interest for one reason or another, they bolt. I'm not a rock star like some people, who can do all the coding, design, and art work.

I suppose I don't have a good answer for this one other than I wouldn't be paid either. In the past I have paid people, but I just can't do it at the moment.

Maybe I should amend my post a bit. This doesn't have to be full time. What I was trying to say is that it should be taken seriously.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

View Postjwgamedesign, on 03 June 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

I suppose I don't have a good answer for this one other than I wouldn't be paid either.

I applaud you for this comment, & I truly hope that you find the developer you are looking for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

View Postjwgamedesign, on 03 June 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

I have a degree in game design & art. I worked on BriskSaber as a designer, a mobile game and promotional piece between Pepesi's Brisk iced tea and Star Wars. I put together a small team for Idiom Power, a cheesy but effective English idiom learning game for a San Francisco based writer and language teacher.

I have a few indie games that I've tried to get the ball rolling on such as The Last Sunshine, but for one reason or another, people just left the project. If people get bored or loose interest for one reason or another, they bolt. I'm not a rock star like some people, who can do all the coding, design, and art work.

Okay, i can see a few problems with what you are doing here:

1. You need to decide if you are a designer/artist or prefer working with the business side of games. You are showing me that your focus is all over the place.
2. Do you have a website to showcase your best and latest work to studios? This is critically important if you want to find paid work in games again.

I suppose I don't have a good answer for this one other than I wouldn't be paid either. In the past I have paid people, but I just can't do it at the moment.

Maybe I should amend my post a bit. This doesn't have to be full time. What I was trying to say is that it should be taken seriously.

Unless the project is magical and has a real chance of possibly making money, I'd focus my efforts on getting a job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostButchDean, on 04 June 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

Okay, i can see a few problems with what you are doing here:

1. You need to decide if you are a designer/artist or prefer working with the business side of games. You are showing me that your focus is all over the place.
When you are a team of just 2 or 3 people, you need to be able to multitask. My strengths are definitely in design, where I would love to put my 100% of my time, but I'm going to wear the art hat as well until it makes sense to get another person. I have an art background so I'm confident enough to, at the very least, make place holder assets. I can provide art work/design work/a portfolio.

2. Do you have a website to showcase your best and latest work to studios? This is critically important if you want to find paid work in games again.

Unless the project is magical and has a real chance of possibly making money, I'd focus my efforts on getting a job.
I've been looking for over a year. I've had multiple interview, but things just aren't working. I was at GDC 2013 (San Francisco) and spent my entire time in the career section and there isn't a week that goes by where I don't apply for multiple places. I understand your comment but believe me, I'm trying. I even had one interview in Japanese for a Tokyo position! Didn't get it though obviously.

I appreciate your concern. I'm aware this is all sort of weird. I need to find the right person, for both our sakes. It has to be someone who is interested in making an indie project and probably someone who has been burned just enough to want to do things right.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Good luck. If it's any help it took me four years to get my first game development gig, so don't be disheartened.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

I suggest you think about setting your sights a little lower. Can you come up with something small and clever that will make a good calling card? Think mobile, think free, think open-source. Small and mobile means low production overhead. Free means people see it, which is what you want. Open source means that your work is totally visible, which is good if you want to show off your work. Also, open-source takes the money out of the picture, which is good since you're not going to make any money on this one in any case.

If you can do something cool and quick and you're still wanting to hang out when it's done, then you can think about how to do the next one, or where you go from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

I hear you on that. When I first tried to put a project together (this was in school) it was enormous and a disaster. I've scaled things way down and been much more hesitant to start something. When you're eager and (quite frankly) naive, you jump on almost anything.

Having said that, I would agree this kind of project could be too big. Maybe. But I also feel it can sectioned in a smart way and if you're conscious about it's size, being cautious about development.

I mean, it's an appeal to passion, plain and simple. That's why I underlined a few specific traits I'm looking or would like to see. For better or worse, I'd still like to see if I can even find someone who may fit the bill. Also, to be honest, I just don't really care a whole lot about mobile games. I think they're great, they are successful, but my heart wouldn't be in it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

(Can you edit posts?)

I also want to add to my previous post, that development for this game could be sectioned in such a way that I could achieve something very similar to a "mobile app's worth of work".

The first major mile stone of the game will most likely be a given player class' mechanics and a small subset of enemies. (I have most of the art and design finished for this first mile stone.) If that's made, it has all the elements needed to for a strong resume bullet point. I would be able to say, personally:

We made this gameplay.
This is design I was going for.
This is my art.
This is the engineer I worked with.
This is our documentation.
This is our process.
etc...

Does that make sense?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

(Can you edit posts?)

There is a post minimum of 16 posts before you can edit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

View Postjwgamedesign, on 04 June 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

I would be able to say, personally:

We made this gameplay.
This is design I was going for.
This is my art.
This is the engineer I worked with.
This is our documentation.
This is our process.
etc...

Does that make sense?

That's all good stuff. What about "and these are the ten thousand people enjoying our product right now."?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +