• +

23 Replies - 4996 Views - Last Post: 04 June 2013 - 09:21 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: MySQL vs. Access

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 04 June 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

Woah..woah..woah. Hold up. Doing the solution end run around to installing Sharepoint is not a right solution. You do not want to install an enterprise wide collaboration environment just to share a dinky mysql database (or access for that matter) and two people. That would be akin to building a SuperWalmart so you have a place to a morning cheese danish.

Where's this mysql database you have already built that someone wants to use? Is this on a box on the network? You can easily enable network access to your sql installs and just have the app point to it.

Example:

http://msdn.microsof...=sql.90%29.aspx
http://rclermont.blo...ork-access.html

Those links look straight forward enough. The database itself is on my HDD, I had intended on renting hosting (sounds like I'm using the wrong term here) for it somewhere so they could access it. My main problem is that my front end program might take a fair bit to finish (at least a few days) and they aren't willing to wait, or well, I'm not willing to guarantee that it's only a few days even though I suspect so.

But you're saying that I could just get hosting for the database somewhere, and then connect to the database from Access on the two computers?

This post has been edited by Tenderfoot: 04 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

Maybe I misunderstood. Is this someone in your office or on your local network, a payjob, or something else entirely?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 04 June 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

Maybe I misunderstood. Is this someone in your office or on your local network, a payjob, or something else entirely?

Someone in my office, I wasn't very clear on that in my first post. I'm not here working exclusively as a developer or anything like that, but I was asked to do this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

Thank you modi123_1. Yes, my posts were based on an online solution, with SharePoint already being configured. I was providing links to SharePoint information, but I see now that my posts read like a recommendation ;)

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 04 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

If this is in your office, on your office network, then it would almost be best to just grab a box, throw on MSSQL/MYSQL.. configure it for network access, slap your tables, etc on there, and go to town. I am not sure what sort of day to day performance degradation you would get by trying to use a box someone is hitting for database pulls.. but it might be worth a shot.

So yeah.. you don't need to buy a webhost.. you don't need to setup a webservice (though you could).. just a box on the network and set it up for network access. We do the same thing with a stack of blade servers here and it works fine. That's how a typical in-house company app should run.

@andrewsw - it sounded like Sharepoint wasn't setup and that's a dark road to head down for just a want of a network accessible database. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 04 June 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

If this is in your office, on your office network, then it would almost be best to just grab a box, throw on MSSQL/MYSQL.. configure it for network access, slap your tables, etc on there, and go to town. I am not sure what sort of day to day performance degradation you would get by trying to use a box someone is hitting for database pulls.. but it might be worth a shot.

So yeah.. you don't need to buy a webhost.. you don't need to setup a webservice (though you could).. just a box on the network and set it up for network access. We do the same thing with a stack of blade servers here and it works fine. That's how a typical in-house company app should run.

@andrewsw - it sounded like Sharepoint wasn't setup and that's a dark road to head down for just a want of a network accessible database. :D/>/>

Oh, I misunderstood the nature of your question. One of the two people who will use it is located in my office, the other is generally across the street. We do not all share an internet connection. But perhaps I could still do this and have him connect remotely somehow? And if so, is there a kind of box you would recommend? I have a vague idea of what a box is.. :dontgetit: And when I say vague, I mean, I assume it's some router-like creature with access to the internet and some form of an operating system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

Oh for the love of Pete. I guess I should have pushed the problem space interrogation a bit more. So there are three people using it - you, someone else on your network, and someone off the network?

Okay - so if you are *not* on the same network then yeah that in house box will work but be a pain to get someone to VPN into the company network, credentials, etc. On that case then getting hosting (on the company site, your own site, etc) and set up some sort of webservice for your app to connect into.

Now.. I know you are all jazzed about using MS Access as your pseudo front end.. fine.. then you need to be aware of how to connect to a web service from Access.

https://office.micro...A010356867.aspx

All of this comes with two large f'n caveats. First - if this is *company* data you better clear the ability to have it stored off company premises before you begin. If the data has even a hint of credit card, social security info, etc that - if loose in the wild - can come back to slam you like a ton of bricks then scrap the whole plan until you are hip on the whole concept and can lock down the webservice.

The second is security. You'll need to read up on web service security.. I mean if you have an open webservice anyone can query it to pull the data or insert junk data.

And if so, is there a kind of box you would recommend?

For this few number of folk and transactions any old box from the last few years that meets the min specs for MSSQL Express or MYSQL would do.

I have a vague idea of what a box is.. :dontgetit: And when I say vague, I mean, I assume it's some router-like creature with access to the internet and some form of an operating system.

Box as in a functioning computer.. a power supply, hard drive, processor, ram, motherboard, internet connection, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostTenderfoot, on 04 June 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

I've built a database in MySQL that someone else wants to use. That person has no knowledge of queries or anything to that effect

My 2, it's your tool. They can either use it, or not. They can expand their knowledge, rather than you the developer bend over backwards to spoon feed lazyness & ignorance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostTenderfoot, on 04 June 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

But you recommend SQL Server for this?

Only if you already have it. Also, only if you need to deal with an enterprise where access levels are a consideration. In such a place that uses windows, something like active directory would be a given.

Microsoft likes Microsoft, and only grudgingly plays with others, so there's usually an advantage to staying in the family if you can. e.g. SQL Express usually has enough horsepower for in house stuff.

However, if you already have a MySQL database, go with it. There's no reason to start installing all kinds of new junk if you don't need it. SharePoint, btw, is massive product that's a monster to maintain; one of the worst installs I've ever dealt with, come to think of it. It also ain't free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +