5 Replies - 563 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2013 - 10:52 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Python Beginner

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hey everyone!

I am fully a XHTML / CSS guy right now looking to grow. Have a little knowledge in C++ as well.

I am curious about learning Python. Does anyone have a recommended place I start? Either online or a good book?

Maybe something that helped you get started?

Thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Python Beginner

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Python Beginner

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Depends what you need and where you're starting from. The tutorials on python.org are probably a good place to start, if you're totally new to desktop programming.

The Essential Desktop Reference (http://www.powells.com/biblio/9780672328626) is a great one to have close at hand and has some good material on the basics of python.

If you want something more like a course, there's the MIT Open CourseWare sessions - basically, MIT's "How to Program" course, filmed a few years ago but still pretty good. There are two iterations, I did the first and found it quite useful. There are a lot of online courses using python, so you have some choices - all I know is, this one was pretty good and gets you into interesting problems very quickly.

I don't know if there's a good beginner's book on the current version of django, but if you're familiar with web stuff and you want to play on the web, django's a good way to go. However, it's been changing a lot with releases, so material covering older versions will be subtly and maddeningly wrong. Make sure you're using the same version of django that your tutorial does, or you'll hate your life and want to die.

There's lots of options, though, these are just a few.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

I like The Quick Python Book if you have sufficient programming experience (it doesn't require too much). It is not a full-blown tutorial but is a good read.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

To get started I would suggest http://www.codecademy.com/ they have some good simple tutorials that helped me get the gist of python.

I have no affiliation with them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Come on guys. So far Udacity's CS101 will take care of all your python needs.They teach you the basics and walk you along on developing your own web crawler. String formatting, files, basics, etc.

Here is the link :
CS101
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

There's a free book called 'Start Here: Python Programming for Beginners'.It uses humour to explain the concepts more easily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1