• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 3308 Views - Last Post: 12 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming skills

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

I'm sure he can make a hefty donation to O'Reilly once his Java skills save the world and earn him fame and riches. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

I buy the international editions for the textbooks I need. I pay substantially less for the same contents, but the book is printed on cheaper paper with cheaper covering. For over a $100 difference on certain books, buying international saves me a lot of money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 12 June 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

View PostFlukeshot, on 12 June 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

Head First Java is a nice book for a beginner. You can find it free online.

Probably not legally. I'm pretty sure the author is still getting royalties from O'Reilly - if you like the book, buy a copy, so the author knows to make more books and O'Reilly knows to publish more like it.

Oh you can FIND it for free, acquiring might be a different story, though now I'm being a tad of a semantics prick.

As much as code is good, planning and knowing how to structure what you're about to do is equally if not more important. Going in without a plan is a good way to start hating programming fast.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

macosxnerd101 , thanks :D didn't know that it existed. I found on amazon CLRS 3rd edition for 50$ and in my country the 1st edition was almost 300$ and available at a single publisher which doesn't even sell it anymore. TO understand the problem, in my country the minimum salary (monthly) is something like 230-250$ also and 700$ a month is a nice salary, 2000$ is most than the majority I guess.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostTwoOfDiamonds, on 07 June 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

Thank you very much for your advice guys !

As soon as I will get into college ( that should be around 22 July if everything will be ok with the exams) I'll start working on my first game :D/> It should be a snake with some extra features and some more interesting gameplay than the classic version and finish reading Introduction to algorithms :)/>

And as most of you said :)/> I won't stop learning ^_^/>

You'll never stop learning in life. There's always something new to discover whether it's in programming, business, relationships, technology, or anything really.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +