6 Replies - 2788 Views - Last Post: 16 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Do I still have a chance for a summer internship?

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm graduating next semester in the fall at GMU in computer science. I wanted some experience under my belt before I graduate. More specifically, I really wanted some kind of software development internship for the summer.

I started applying around April and managed to land two phone interviews and four in-person interviews. I really thought I had a chance at some of these interviews, but unfortunately most of them didn't respond back. The one company where I was positive I was gonna get the position responded that they weren't looking for new interns anymore. So that's six missed opportunities that I'm really bummed about. I realize it's pretty late into the summer for there to be any open positions to apply to, but I'm still looking!

I'm just worried that not having an internship will affect my chances in landing a job once I graduate. If I can't find an internship this summer, I was thinking of starting some personal projects instead. I guess I just have to work with the best I got at this point.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do I still have a chance for a summer internship?

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do I still have a chance for a summer internship?

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

I would look at working for a few weeks at some startups. Even if you don't get paid directly, you may be able to get some experience under your belt and be promised equity in the company, which can be very valuable later on. Depending on your skills, you can try for different types of jobs.

As a side note, if you have Django, Android or other mobile experience, PM me and I may be able to consider for a position in my startup.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

Not to be too cynical, but startups tend to pivot a lot. Sometimes the same team drops a company altogether and moves onto a new idea. Equity is great when the company succeeds. Sometimes it takes a few pivots for the founders to succeed, but it may be under a different company. If you don't plan on sticking with the founders throughout the pivots or if the company doesn't take off, the equity could be worthless. However, the employer references and work experience are invaluable. In a startup environment, you will have a lot more responsibility and less guidance than in a more established company. You may be doing work comparable to senior developers at more established businesses, and that's invaluable on a resume.

So I'm not saying don't go work at a startup; but if getting paid is important, I'd tend to shy away from the startup world. If you're okay with the experience and perhaps equity, pizza, and beer, go for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

True, mac, but for a summer internship this hardly seems like a huge deal. You'll get a token payment and pizza, and a resume item - with luck, some relevant experience and good connections as well. That's good return on investment, I'd say go for it if something comes along.

However, since it's June I'm afraid that ship may have sailed, and I wouldn't spend a lot of energy rowing after it. Try to find some other useful thing to do - build yourself a brag page, write some code, learn a framework, take a few more classes, teach someone how to program. Get on it, though. Time's a-wasting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses back.

Apparently, I have another interview for an internship position coming up Monday. The kicker is that it's an unpaid internship. I'm really debating whether or not I should take it for a couple of reasons.

1) Being the typical college student, I'm not really stable financially. I'm already working a part-time job as a cashier to pay off my expenses. I'm not sure if it's safe financially to quit this job and work a couple of months unpaid.

2) I'm looking around on the web and people have brought up several red flags on unpaid internships, especially in the computer science/software development field. Here are some responses I've found where people were fairly negative.

http://programmers.s...ns-2-am-i-crazy
http://programmers.s...d-it-internship

If I remember correctly, most internships in the technology field are usually paid.

I realize the experience might be useful, but I'm debating if it's worth it. As I said earlier, I do want to start some of my own personal projects this summer (make a game, develop an app, open source projects, etc). And at the same time I can stay working as a cashier for the summer as a means to cover my finances. So in terms of personal projects vs unpaid internships, which should I choose? Both will definitely help develop my skills as a programmer, but would one be more beneficial than the other?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

At the end of the day, we all are bound by the budget constraint. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. That being said, would you be opposed to managing two part time jobs to keep the pay for the cashier position? Sure, that may not be the ideal, but if the experience is good at the internship and you need the money, it might be for the best. You might just have less time for personal projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

View PostDogstopper, on 07 June 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

I would look at working for a few weeks at some startups. Even if you don't get paid directly, you may be able to get some experience under your belt and be promised equity in the company, which can be very valuable later on. Depending on your skills, you can try for different types of jobs.

As a side note, if you have Django, Android or other mobile experience, PM me and I may be able to consider for a position in my startup.

Hey, How have your start up progress so far?

I go to BMCC in Manhattan and is also looking for anything that can get me experience rather than the money. I did two semesters in Java. I know you can't just give me a start but I just would like the story of a intern at your startup.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1