1 Replies - 205 Views - Last Post: 09 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to recognize returning visitors not using cookies?

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

My coder is working for me on a new game script (mainly coded in php/ajax and javascript).
This is the problem: i do not want people can cheat the game so i need to identify and recognize each single visitor in unique way. Normal cookies are not a solution since they can be easily deleted.

What could i to recognize an user in a stealth way so he cannot easily delete the cookies and play multiple times to my game?

I cannot register the ip in the database because many ISP in my country uses the same ip for multiple users so i would block many users if i ban an ip.

Is there a way to install a stealth cookie not easy to be deleted or something like that?

Maybe flash cookies or java cookies??

Any idea?

thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to recognize returning visitors not using cookies?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to recognize returning visitors not using cookies?

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

No, you can not. Browser manufacturers work hard to make sure their user's privacy can not be violated in this way. It's a pain for many legit websites who would benefit from being able to do this, but overall this is a good thing, because it's negative uses far outweigh it's legit uses.

Like you pointed out, IP addresses are pretty much completely useless for visitor identification. Cookies are also easily avoided, but for most web users they will do. Of course, for things that depend on you being able to uniquely identify users, neither is an option.

The best solution to this is to require user login. That's something you can control; if a user has to be logged in, you can make sure that the user isn't logged in in two places. It doesn't restrict each user to one login though. There, again, you can't really enforce anything to prevent it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1