• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: E3 2013

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 11 June 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

... snip ...
Fuck the consumer.

Ugh.. If that's the scenario I would hate to know what I had to scrape, sponge, scoop up to send back to *THAT* manufacturer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#32 depricated  Icon User is online

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 11 June 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

so by that logic if they started requiring license keys to the use the discs then your expectations of video game software would change accordingly?

I wouldn't consent to a license key on a physical disc. I don't consent to the way Microsoft handles the XBox or the way Sony handles the Playstation - therefore I own neither and have not felt as if I've lost anything. I'm not obliged to purchase something that I disagree with.

My logic stands - I can hand off a Diablo 2 license key, a Fallout 3 key, and so forth. Keys that are consumed-on-use, like a Rift Account Key, aren't transferrable - and perhaps I said that wrong previously in saying "soft key." I would accept account-linked single-purchases at a lower price than a full purchase. But I can sell that account - and have.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft decided to make this change after looking into the number of people who actually lend each other their games/ trade them and found the numbers to be less than would be expected. I know that I basically never trade games/ buy used ones. I haven't done that since the Gamecube. However, there is still the problem of gifting a used game; which I believe (assuming the game is on the disk) should be possible, even if you simply have to purchase a new license key for it (which was what I expected them to have as their policy).

Now, it does annoy me that you can transfer the game a single time. It is going to cause people to not purchase games that they are unsure if they will like of not. Further bottlenecking the industry with sequels of sequels (and FF 7932234, Halo 65124, etc.). People will just play it safe. That is part of what is causing problems for the industry as it is. All the new games seem to be rehashed versions of old ones, nothing new nothing exciting.

As far as the XBL price, if you are paying $60 for your subscription you are doing it wrong.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#34 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

and found the numbers to be less than would be expected

I don't have statistics to disprove this, but I can say that companies like Gamestop make most of their profit on used games, and they seem to be thriving. Their margins are vastly higher on used hardware and games. I don't think we can hand-wave this away. MS is trying to keep more money in the publisher's hands rather than places like gamestop's.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#35 adolf625  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

View Postsupersloth, on 11 June 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

View Postadolf625, on 11 June 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

Playstation plus is the better service, this month alone they added 7 free games. some are indie games but they have even given free copies of Deus Ex and Sleeping Dogs. It definitely has more bang for the buck.

well, it was at least. now that it's required for multiplayer and xbox live is giving away free games as well, it's basically the same thing.

Xbox is only giving a way 2 games, and it's only through the Xbox One launch, so it's kinda just bribery to make us like them again.

*Edit*
I meant to say 2 games per month.

This post has been edited by adolf625: 11 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#36 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

Then there's this:

Published: Jun 7, 2013 at 8:12 AM PDT
Microsoft's upcoming Xbox One gaming console will be able to play used games, clearing up a worry among gamers and video game retailers such as GameStop, which trade in used games.

That means video games discs users buy will not be limited to one Xbox One device, and players can share or trade in the games they have bought for other used games, just as they have been able to do in the past.

Microsoft Corp. said in a blog post Thursday that it will not charge a fee to retailers, publishers or gamers for transferring their old games.
cite
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostCurtis Rutland, on 11 June 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

and found the numbers to be less than would be expected

I don't have statistics to disprove this, but I can say that companies like Gamestop make most of their profit on used games, and they seem to be thriving. Their margins are vastly higher on used hardware and games. I don't think we can hand-wave this away. MS is trying to keep more money in the publisher's hands rather than places like gamestop's.

Sorry, I wasn't attempting to wave it away, just say that they may have numbers they thought would lead to less of an uproar over the used game fiasco (which I am also unable to prove either way). I do agree with you that they are wanting to get some of the profits from gamestop. I believe that gamestop listed a $500 million profit in their quarterly statement, which says that the primarily used game industry is somewhere around $2+ billion annually.

I just hope that they can get their heads in the right place before they handicap themselves like Nintendo did.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

gizmodo had a pretty good breakdown this afternoon: http://gizmodo.com/p...howdo-512606959
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

PlayStation 4 Vs. Xbox One: A Feature by Feature Showdown

Social involvement

No one wins. Everyone must stop this. No one wants social on their gaming console. Now, if we expand the definition of social into matchmaking and the like, the Xbox's dual OS will allow you to, say, watch a movie while remaining queued for a match, or while waiting for friends to log into a Halo hub, or something. That's an advantage, but not really enough to scrub the regrettable ability to tweet achievements or whatever fresh horrors count as social these days.

Winner: Lucifer

Made me chuckle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:27 AM

Wow, I didn't mean to cause that debate! :P

I was merely trying to say that they are being a bit childish with the whole "look at me you can trade games" tit for tat. I won't choose my console over that.

Besides if you're stupid enough to buy a game like Two Worlds (like I was) nobody is going to want to trade you for it anyway!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:35 AM

Ah, yeah, I got that one too... It was bloody awful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

A little off topic but printed on the Two Worlds box (if you still haven't thrown it in the trash) you'll find a review quote that says "It's oblivion on crack". Just thought I'd point that out.

So anyway, back to E3.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

That very comment was one of the reasons I picked it up. Turned out that it was really bad quality crack cut with god knows what else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 11 June 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Then there's this:

Published: Jun 7, 2013 at 8:12 AM PDT
Microsoft's upcoming Xbox One gaming console will be able to play used games, clearing up a worry among gamers and video game retailers such as GameStop, which trade in used games.

That means video games discs users buy will not be limited to one Xbox One device, and players can share or trade in the games they have bought for other used games, just as they have been able to do in the past.

Microsoft Corp. said in a blog post Thursday that it will not charge a fee to retailers, publishers or gamers for transferring their old games.
cite

http://www.gameplane...ine-statements/

Here's another Microsoft Backpedals news article with different information. Neither of these two reports convinces me that Microsoft isn't going to screw you over and many of the previous problems about the XBox ONE will still be there. I don't trust Sony either- this is the same company that suddenly removed the Install Other OS feature, after all. I miss real consoles. What's a real console? One where you put the game in and you go directly to the game you just put in with no updates, fiddling with dashboards, etc. That's the whole reason I liked consoles over PCs. We haven't had one of those since the PS2/GC/XB set. These new systems just look like restricted computers to me, defeating the purpose of a console. There's enough games on the PC I like to play so I'll just stick with what I have.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#45 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 12 June 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

... snip ...
We haven't had one of those since the PS2/GC/XB set