3 Replies - 876 Views - Last Post: 14 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

application links map

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

Hi,
in a big telecomunications company we have about 2,000 different applications starting from those that are only 1 web page big, up to huge distributed systems that attend thousands of requests per minute. All applications have some interaction with another and we want to map the links between them. We think about 2 types of links: read only, wich means the application only reads from another application, and read/write, when there is some update going on. This infromation will help us to find similar tools and compact our software base because it is growing and maintenance is becoming costly and complexity of operation is getting higher and higher.

My question is, what software can I use, to map the links between that many applications?

Thanks in advance
Nulik

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: application links map

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: application links map

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

View Postnulik, on 12 June 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

My question is, what software can I use, to map the links between that many applications?

found this link:
http://searchdatacen...tems-monitoring

if someone knows about open source solutions, please let me know
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

What does a 'link' mean? How are you defining that interaction? Is that data dependency? Does one app some how actually *use* another to force commands down some pipe?

I am guessing in this two-thousand app environment there is no documentation to pull up what reads and writes data where?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hmmm.... Do you really need a software system?

2000 applications. Assuming that it takes 30 minutes to map the inputs and outputs of an application you get:
2000 * 10 minutes / 60 minutes per hour / 8 hours per day / 20 days per month = 2.03 months.

As far as I know, there is no automated system that will let you cut down that critical 10 minutes in the formula. Somebody will have to manually enter the inputs and outputs of the system. If you think that automated software source code inspection will save you the time, how do you account for the manual parts of the process where somebody has to copy values into or from a spreadsheet? How do you account for the printed or faxed PO that is sent in by your vendors?

Even if you changed from source code inspection to having some kind of software that observes a system in action, you will need to have a long enough window to ensure that you are capturing all the actions involved. If you only do an annual report, you'll have to ensure that you run at least a year. If you have a 5 year report, you'll have to ensure that you run for 5 years.

Yes, even if you went with software source code inspection, you'll need to ensure that it understands the source code of all your systems and handles the gamut from COBOL, FORTRAN, VB, to the current more common C, C++, C#, Java, Javascript, VB.NET, ActionScript, Perl, PHP, to the more esoteric domain specific languages used in your business like MUMPS, VHDL, or Verilog. More than just understanding the programming language, it will have to understand the semantics of the program for it to figure out that it is opening a TCP port on System A so that Systems B and C can communicate with System A. I will be amazed if such a system exists that has the breadth and depth.

It maybe true that having software to do the mapping automatically would let you break the 8 hour per day, 20 days per week barrier and move it up to 24 hours per day, 30 days a week, but I feel that it is a pipe dream to have such a system that requires no manual intervention beyond installation and giving it the starting point to start mapping. Somebody will have to be there entering the system interaction points.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1