1 Replies - 426 Views - Last Post: 13 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Offering file storage to users on website

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

Hello,

A friend asked me the other day "If I wanted to provide a web service within which users would be able to store potentially large files, how would I do that?"

Now, if you have a small user base and could limit their uploads to a relatively low size, you may wish to just buy enough server space to host both your website and peoples content. But what about a large, or unknown size user base where you offered every user, let's say... between 5GB and 10GB of space, what are your options then? I'd like to hear all options regardless of how much technical knowledge each requires (from no technical knowledge to super-genius).

There must be some form of cloud service that allows you to integrate cloud storage on your website, is there?
And I know you could buy servers or server space, but I don't know about specific options?

Thanks,
Ian.

P.S I didn't really know where to post this, sorry if it's in the wrong section.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Offering file storage to users on website

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Offering file storage to users on website

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

UPDATE: So I've been looking at Amazon Web Services - I don't fully understand it all, but I believe that can be integrated with a website.
I've looked at buying servers - but they would be too difficult for him to maintain - he'd have to pay someone to do that for him.
I've also been looking at CDN's such as Akamai, Internap & NetDNA - would these be a suitable solution?

Anybody have any opinions to share about these?

Thanks,
Ian
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1