Is Playstation 4 the future for XNA developers?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 7176 Views - Last Post: 18 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is Playstation 4 the future for XNA developers?

Post icon  Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

So in a role-reversal from last gen, it's looking increasingly as though Sony are the champion of indie game development. We don't yet know the process for sign-up, but the current rumor (according to neogaf) is that PSM (playstation mobile) games will be compatible with the indie games platform on PS4. Adding some weight to that argument is the recent announcement that dualshock 3 support has been added to PSM.

Also keep in mind that both Transistor (Super Giant Games) and Mercenary Kings - two games announced as part of PS4's initial indie offering - were written in C# and use Monogame (the open source version of XNA) for their Steam/PC releases.

Time will tell exactly how open the platform is in terms of self-publishing, but I tend to think this is a promising development, and potentially the shot in the arm monogame needed to raise its credibility.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: Is Playstation 4 the future for XNA developers?

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is Playstation 4 the future for XNA developers?

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

I think that would mostly be good news. Definately keep us posted if you hear anything else developing there.

But in my effort to always see the cloud for the silver lining, a dead language can't really go anywhere. I assume Microsoft owns XNA. So unless they turn it over to be open source and the Monogame community really drives that one to the hoop, I'm not sure I'm seeing a future here.

It seems to me, that for Sony to do it right they need a development platform that is well suported and is growing, rather than deprecated and fading.

Then again, seeing the bad side of things is my "gift". Its my "calling" in life really.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostBBeck, on 12 June 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

But in my effort to always see the cloud for the silver lining, a dead language can't really go anywhere. I assume Microsoft owns XNA. So unless they turn it over to be open source and the Monogame community really drives that one to the hoop, I'm not sure I'm seeing a future here.

Not sure what you mean here. C# isn't a dead language. Indeed, it's the primary language used in Playstation Mobile development, and could very well be what they use for PS4. Furthermore, Monogame IS an open source version of XNA. The only thing it lacks is a content pipeline of its own, and they're working on that.

a number of high-profile indie games have used Monogame. You should really check it out.

Read the about section. It pretty clearly says its an open source version of XNA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

I didn't mean to imply that C# is dead, only that XNA is dead. I probably should have said "dead framework". (You could theoretically do OpenGL or DirectX with C#).

You make some excelent points. Although there's going to have to be at least one book published on Monogame programming before I have faith that Monogame has a real future. But I'll check out the link.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Let's not forget: Unity coming to PS4, PS3, PSVita And PSMobile
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

I hope it's not dead. I found XNA invaluable when I was learning to program.
But the fact that Microsoft hasn't said anything about a new XNA makes me think actual XNA is going to go the way of the Dodo.
Monogame seems like a good replacement though, not that I've used it. Just read about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Microsoft has officially stated that XNA will no longer be supported, and that was a while ago... Anyway, speak of the Devil http://www.monogame....tles-coming-ps4 , and I was unclear as to whether Monogame was going to cease development along with XNA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostBBeck, on 12 June 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

I didn't mean to imply that C# is dead, only that XNA is dead. I probably should have said "dead framework". (You could theoretically do OpenGL or DirectX with C#).

You make some excelent points. Although there's going to have to be at least one book published on Monogame programming before I have faith that Monogame has a real future. But I'll check out the link.

RB Whitaker's xna website is already in the process of converting tutorials to monogame. It's not much, but it's a start.

It's a chicken-egg scenario. There won't be a book without a groundswell of initial support, but what you're saying suggests there won't be a groundswell of support without a book. The good news is that you don't really have to do anything to support monogame right now other than keep on using XNA - and then, if you want to convert your solution to other platforms like Android, Mac or Linux, download Monogame and use it to do the job.

Once monogame has its own content pipeline sorted, you won't even need XNA anymore. So yeah, XNA is pretty clearly a dead framework. It's also clear Microsoft aren't making the same commitment to indie developers that Sony is on next-gen platforms, so I think you're safe to assume that Microsoft have nothing new up their sleeve.

View PostIcyCode, on 12 June 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

Microsoft has officially stated that XNA will no longer be supported, and that was a while ago... Anyway, speak of the Devil http://www.monogame....tles-coming-ps4 , and I was unclear as to whether Monogame was going to cease development along with XNA.

That was the post that prompted me to start this topic - it's great news for the future of monogame, and XNA developers as a whole. XNA devs really, really, really need to understand that monogame is the future of XNA they've been hoping for. It may not have a future on Microsoft consoles, but things are really looking up for multi-format development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

The only problem with using Monogame is that if the user seeks to deploy to iOS or Android, then he/she has to drop 399$ for a Xamarin license.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

This maybe an off topic question but if monogame will be the alternative. shouldnt there be a monogame section? :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

If there is enough interest.. so far not so much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

View Postdreaminxna, on 14 June 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

This maybe an off topic question but if monogame will be the alternative. shouldnt there be a monogame section? :D/>

My thoughts exactly

This post has been edited by IcyCode: 14 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

We do have a Mono forum for Mono-specific questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:29 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 14 June 2013 - 10:52 PM, said:

We do have a Mono forum for Mono-specific questions.

I meant something along the lines of simply changing the name of the XNA forum to Monogame/XNA, to avoid confusion. Since Monogame may take off in its own direction and XNA will soon be regarded as a deprecated version of Monogame.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:17 AM

View PostIcyCode, on 14 June 2013 - 11:29 PM, said:

I meant something along the lines of simply changing the name of the XNA forum to Monogame/XNA, to avoid confusion. Since Monogame may take off in its own direction and XNA will soon be regarded as a deprecated version of Monogame.

Agree agree :D :sailor:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +