Is Playstation 4 the future for XNA developers?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 7931 Views - Last Post: 18 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

#16 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is Playstation 4 the future for XNA developers?

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Apparently a MonoGame book is in the works, according to the MonoGame team. A link to this thread was auto-tweeted to our Twitter page, and this is the response we got from the MonoGame team.

@CodyHenrichsen If anyone has an account on @DreamInCode could you please point out to user: BBeck that a MonoGame book is in the works :).

Link: https://twitter.com/...933031414464512
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 15 June 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Apparently a MonoGame book is in the works, according to the MonoGame team. A link to this thread was auto-tweeted to our Twitter page, and this is the response we got from the MonoGame team.

@CodyHenrichsen If anyone has an account on @DreamInCode could you please point out to user: BBeck that a MonoGame book is in the works :)/>/>/>.

Link: https://twitter.com/...933031414464512

LOL

Awesome!

The monogame team actually reads what I write? LOL

That's awesome that they're writing a book. I do hope that monogame does well and that people get into it.

Now if we could just get them to support DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4. I'm concerned that they are building on XNA 4.0 when it was really about time for XNA 5.0 to come out. Are they planning on moving forward? Computer graphics is an area that if you don't constantly move forward, you get left behind.

My understanding is that everything - including XNA - uses DirectX 9 (and in the OpenGL world 2.0) because it had something of a fixed pipeline left. XNA has BasicEffect (and a handful of other effects/shaders that were less commonly used). But from what I've seen, DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.3 require you use HLSL (or GLSL) to do even the most simple things. Obviously, you don't want to make HLSL (or GLSL) a requirement for someone starting out, but it seems like it might not be that difficult to build something into the framework, such as BasicEffect that is using HLSL (or GLSL) in the background without the programmer realizing it, because its encapsulating the shader.

But I think its time to at least provide access to the functionality of DirectX11 and OpenGL 4. Then again, maybe "one step at a time". Just getting the basic functionality of XNA 4.0 is quite an accomplishment.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 16 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 14 June 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

We do have a Mono forum for Mono-specific questions.

But that's specific to Mono and not MonoGame, right? (My understanding is that Mono is for all C# development - Kind of a cross platform version of C# and the .Net library - and MonoGame is kind of the framework for Mono that basically does the job of XNA.)

I think he was suggesting that the forum name be changed from "XNA" to something like "XNA/MonoGame". And that makes sense if MonoGame is the continuation of XNA. And since Microsoft has abandoned XNA, while at the same time promoted people using MonoGame, it seems to me that its fair to say that MonoGame is "essentially" the "new XNA".

Microsoft's "Channel 9" has certainly been promoting the idea of XNA developers moving to MonoGame.

A name change might make it more clear that MonoGame programmers are welcome to ask questions in the XNA forum.

(Incidentally, I've spent the better part of the morning learning about MonoGame and checking out what they've got going on.)

This post has been edited by BBeck: 16 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostBBeck, on 16 June 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

A name change might make it more clear that MonoGame programmers are welcome to ask questions in the XNA forum.

They should :D because i think monogame forum is not that active :gun_bandana:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

If it picks up here, we can revisit a name change. We're not going to make an immediate change though. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 16 June 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

If it picks up here, we can revisit a name change. We're not going to make an immediate change though. :)/>

Yes please :D To save xna :genius:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

As soon as the content pipeline is fixed it'll be completely independent of XNA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +