4 Replies - 355 Views - Last Post: 12 June 2013 - 09:10 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

anybody know how to make a launcher that can download things via url

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

hey have created a program that I want to make a launcher, but would like to have it so that if you have not downloaded the program there will be a download button so when you download it there must be a downloadable and when it is finished, it could extraction itself automatically to the finish button must be changed to open or something like that. does anyone have an idea how to do it is not so much in c # so hope there is someone who can help PS download bar should continue to be there if I want more than 2 files can be downloaded in launcher. thanks in advance

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: anybody know how to make a launcher that can download things via url

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: anybody know how to make a launcher that can download things via url

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

First, explain what you mean "launcher". That word can mean a lot of things, I want to know exactly what your intentions are here. Beyond that, it sounds like you're trying to make a download manager. Why? There are plenty of good ones out there already. What problem are you trying to solve?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

i mean a launcher were you can select a programm you want to open and if you not have the program you can download it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

I agree with Curtis that this seems rather suspicious.

it could extractionextract itself automatically to the finish button must be changed to open

You want to downlaod and automatically install? Hell no, not on my machine or anyone else I know. That sounds like virus installation to me. Users want and need to choose to install something not have it rammed down their throat.

Second, your topic is really hard to read. Its just two massive run-on sentences like an excited kid hopped up on sugar and soda. I'm not trying to be the grammar police, but when you run 10 concepts and questions together like that it makes it painful to read and harder to comprehend WTF you are talking about.

is not so much in c #

Then what language are you doing this in and we can move the thread

does anyone have an idea how to do it

That's nearly enough to bounce this thread as "gimme teh codez". Have you done any work, googling or experimenting on your own? We will help, but not write it for you.

Yah know what? After re-reading and answering this much I can see no good to this thread. It just screams "malware".

There are tons of tutorials on how to download a file. That's not magic. Just look around. The suspicious part is that you want to install it automatically.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

I wasn't really thinking it's like a virus, just confused at what he was actually going for.

It sounds like you're trying to recreate Ninite with the capability of also launching programs.

The simple answer is, this is going to be a ton of work. You're going to have to make a list of all programs you want to support. Then you'll have to find all their download and update links. Then you'll have to put that into your code somehow, preferably in a configurable way (so you don't have to recompile when one site changes its download link).

Then, you'll need some way to see if any or all of those programs are installed, so you'll have to search the registry and program files folders.

Downloading isn't that hard, you can use the WebClient of HttpClient objects. Neither is actually running the downloaded file, you can use Process.Start to ask the system to "run" the file (Process.Start basically tells Windows to do whatever it wants to with the file).

The real hard part will be writing the actual list of programs.

I do question the necessity of a launcher. You have a desktop, a start menu, and a taskbar. Why do you need another place to put a list of applications? But if you really do want it, that's what I'd do.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1