Hacked College's Computers, Not a CS major.....

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

55 Replies - 3245 Views - Last Post: 14 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hacked College's Computers, Not a CS major.....

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:57 PM

Feeling very sad and ashamed of myself but to put a long story short.
1) Hacked college computers
2) Only used to obtain lecture information to study ahead because I was an obsessive study maniac.... (workaholic).
3)No stealing of exams, no changing of grades, and no stealing money. Did not hurt anyone.
4) 1 year suspension.

---> So in result, I am not sure if I can continue studying medicine -most likely not. So I was wondering if I should just become the computer scientist. Would you think any company will be willing to hire me because of this incident?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hacked College's Computers, Not a CS major.....

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hacked College's Computers, Not a CS major.....

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

Well you broke the rules and paid the penalty. B&E in a school isn't quite a resume builder.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

That's understandable. Thanks for your opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

Yar.. debating closing this, but we'll see where it goes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

Yeh, sorry about that. I just don't know where to post it. Am in a very difficult situation and I just want words of wisdom. It would really help me a lot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

Why can't you continue with medicine after your suspension?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:00 AM

Very competitive field. Even with my 3.91 GPA I am not sure they will accept me. I just got trashed by the medical forums...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:20 AM

POPULAR

Best way to handle that situation is to know you were wrong. The first post looks like you didn't think so. Regardless of how careful you were to "not hurt anyone" you hurt their ability to trust you.

-Admit what you did was wrong.
-Apologize profusely.
-Promise it won't happen again (and protect that promise).
-Let them know how important it is for you and plead them (once) to reconsidder.

That's all I can really think of.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:30 AM

Is 3.91 GPA good or bad? I have no idea.

Feeling sorry for yourself won't achieve anything. You did a stupid thing but life goes on. People remember for a short time but what really counts is the lasting impression you give over years. Reputations are easy to make and break and most people won't hold something stupid against you if it was out of character.

I'm going to recommend you read a book called "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People"
http://en.wikipedia....ffective_People

A quick summary is Covey presents an approach to being effective in attaining goals by aligning oneself to what he calls "true north" principles of a character ethic that he presents as universal and timeless.

I've not read the whole book but from what I have read the book is about nurturing character and reaping the rewards that this brings.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:14 AM

View PostFlukeshot, on 13 June 2013 - 01:20 AM, said:

Best way to handle that situation is to know you were wrong. The first post looks like you didn't think so. Regardless of how careful you were to "not hurt anyone" you hurt their ability to trust you.

-Admit what you did was wrong.
-Apologize profusely.
-Promise it won't happen again (and protect that promise).
-Let them know how important it is for you and plead them (once) to reconsidder.

That's all I can really think of.

sigh, I have done all of the following and is now on stage 4 then - pleading. Yes, I have hurted their ability to trust me. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:20 AM

View Postcfoley, on 13 June 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

Is 3.91 GPA good or bad? I have no idea.

Feeling sorry for yourself won't achieve anything. You did a stupid thing but life goes on. People remember for a short time but what really counts is the lasting impression you give over years. Reputations are easy to make and break and most people won't hold something stupid against you if it was out of character.

I'm going to recommend you read a book called "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People"
http://en.wikipedia....ffective_People

A quick summary is Covey presents an approach to being effective in attaining goals by aligning oneself to what he calls "true north" principles of a character ethic that he presents as universal and timeless.

I've not read the whole book but from what I have read the book is about nurturing character and reaping the rewards that this brings.

Everything you said is so true. I will surely read the book that you recommended me. Sigh, this is so out of character that even I am shocked that I did it. But, I did it and it was wrong -no matter good or bad intentions. Punishment is sadly the best medicine yet is a painful one. I hope I can rebuild my reputation. Thanks for your advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

A friend of mine did that in college--got suspended and then got hired at a software firm--- so you tell me how bad can it possibly hurt?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

POPULAR

If you really, really, really wanted to be a doctor...I suspect it hurts quite a bit. That said, I'm intrigued by this bit:

Only used to obtain lecture information to study ahead because I was an obsessive study maniac...

If that's really what it was you obtained then why not simply ask for it? Or did you ask for it, got told 'no' and then went ahead and took it anyway? If it truly was lecture information, I can't discern a reason why a prof wouldn't give it to you if you asked...unless it was something that would give you an unfair advantage over other students.

Take a moment and expand on this, if you would.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

POPULAR

Ethical breaches are difficult to recover from, reputationally speaking. The reasons are maybe not good, but certainly understandable: most professions put people in positions where they can do serious harm and it's very difficult to review their work. For example, in my work I have access to details of the workings of my firm's internal systems, and also could gain access to client financial data. The degree of damage I could do with that knowledge is really quite astounding, and while there are safeguards, I am ultimately working because I am trusted not to do that damage, either intentionally or unintentionally.
So this is difficult to get past, for an employer, and that's really the right response. I would prefer that doctors, lawyers, accountants, and other professionals be held to a high ethical standard, and I hold myself to that standard.

Unfortunately for you, you've given evidence that, at least at one point in the past, you have not held yourself to that standard. Your description of the incident suggests that "no harm was done", this is not a mitigating factor. If you break into my house and just look around, this is as much of a violation as if you break in and take my stuff. The response might be different, but the ethical breach is the same.

Fortunately, it is possible to recover, I think. I would suggest that for the foreseeable future, you must be the first person to bring this up. Don't let a potential employer or school be the one to discover this, and don't make them ask you about it. And when describing the incident, don't try to downplay it. "nobody was hurt" is the wrong thing to say. Describe exactly what you did: you defeated school security measures to access information that you were not authorized to access. Let the person you're talking about make the judgements.

One interesting possibility occurs to me, if you decide that medicine is closed to you (it might not be, you should talk to an academic or professional advisor about this). I suspect that there are not a lot of good programmers with significant domain knowledge in medicine. You might be that person. This could be worth pursuing.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostCraig328, on 13 June 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

If you really, really, really wanted to be a doctor...I suspect it hurts quite a bit. That said, I'm intrigued by this bit:

Only used to obtain lecture information to study ahead because I was an obsessive study maniac...

If that's really what it was you obtained then why not simply ask for it? Or did you ask for it, got told 'no' and then went ahead and took it anyway? If it truly was lecture information, I can't discern a reason why a prof wouldn't give it to you if you asked...unless it was something that would give you an unfair advantage over other students.

Take a moment and expand on this, if you would.

Yes, it does hurt a lot. I try to forget that I wanted to be a doctor sometimes so it wouldn't hurt as much. But even more than that, I came from a poor family and the university gave me a full scholarship. I didn't want to fail my family or my school so the many years up to this point, I worked obsessively hard. Sadly, it was my fault that I failed them anyway.

I was really unprepared for college level math as my high school didn't have Ap classes or high level courses. I worked vigorously, and still, ended up with a B+ in calculus I. Despite good, it was still very unacceptable for me.
This was the first time I asked my professor for material to study ahead. He was a nice guy and provided me his website with his old lecture material. I spent my whole winter break in-doors, studying 3 months of material in less than 3 weeks. And after that, I followed the same habit, spending all my time studying during breaks, and received all A's in my courses

However, when I started to take more biology courses, things got a bit frustrating. Despite the fact I loved the material, I didn't have enough time to read the books end to end in the matter of a week. I asked the professors for the material, and at some points, back down to just asking for the syllabus. Yet, they simply told me the material was not ready. I thought this was silly too since I eventually found out the material was nearly the same except a few changes. I am guessing that it is their priority to present information that is accurate to the current time since new information is always poured in all the time in biology. On the other hand with my math professor, mathematics will always be the same anywhere. I asked a few other biology professors and continually got discouraged. From there, everything went downhill. No good intention can justify what I did.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »