Hacked College's Computers, Not a CS major.....

• (4 Pages)
  • +

55 Replies - 3372 Views - Last Post: 14 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hacked College's Computers, Not a CS major.....

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Have you seen the news lately and what doctors are being accused of? I say go back to school and be a doctor kiddo! Just don't leave instruments in people during surgery and you should be fine. If you like prescribing large quantities of medicine, go to Los Angeles.

:D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

POPULAR

View PostWolfCoder, on 13 June 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

View Postroyfang, on 13 June 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

...It is dangerous knowledge. I wish I never knew it and no one else should. sigh.....

But when you say stuff like this you sound really egotistical with your forbidden knowledge of the ancients when all it probably was were a few scripts. You obviously lacked the knowledge of how not to get caught or anything else a real hacker would find useful.

You try to sound repentant, but this coupled with the fact you're telling this story on an online forum means you're an attention seeking narcissist.

You see, that's the thing. It's not dangerous at all. Hell, if it weren't for sloppy coded sites that are vulnerable to that kind of thing, half my contract work wouldn't exist.

I'm not quite ready to call the boy out yet but this story smells more and more like something you try to avoid stepping in. This is a tech forum for crissake...if there's any group a non techie person could describe their supposed efforts to (and not worry too much about the daynjrus nollij getting out) it'd be us. But so far, this story has more unlikely twists than a silly straw. The police at the door part seemed a little over the top to me...for someone who accessed syllabus material and nothing else.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

POPULAR

So let me see if I can paraphrase:

"I hacked my school, and I'm sorry, but it's because they're lazy idiots, and I did it because I'm a super hard worker, and I really wish I hadn't met the devil at the crossroads at midnight and exchanged my soul for 1337 h4x0r skilzz, but I did, and I can never unlearn them. Surely I should be one of you guys and have at least minor adoration, right?"

Or maybe I'm just an unempathetic asshole. Or both.
Was This Post Helpful? 11
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 13 June 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

"I hacked my school, and I'm sorry, but it's because they're lazy idiots, and I did it because I'm a super hard worker, and I really wish I hadn't met the devil at the crossroads at midnight and exchanged my soul for 1337 h4x0r skilzz, but I did, and I can never unlearn them. Surely I should be one of you guys and have at least minor adoration, right?"

^this
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

I'm going to have to call bullshit on this. Of the *FEW* (like 2) people I know that will even toy with vulnerabilities in stuff just simply don't talk about it like this if at all and it took them a LOT of time to learn that stuff. The "sadness", self-loathing, ego-boosting, etc... just seems fake to me. The whole thing, in more ways than I can articulate at this point seems fake

That said, I could just be a skeptical asshole...how should I know??

Also, I'd like to know general details too if this isn't just a story.

This, BTW, reminds me of the first part of "The Social Network" where they said he "hacked" the campus network when all he actually did was write scripts to download a bunch of images from web pages and put up a website which attracted so much attention that it caused issues...while they were able to describe that remarkably well that just isn't hacking. He did however violate a number of rules doing this I suppose.

I'm not quite ready to call the boy out yet but this story smells more and more like something you try to avoid stepping in. This is a tech forum for crissake...if there's any group a non techie person could describe their supposed efforts to (and not worry too much about the daynjrus nollij getting out) it'd be us. But so far, this story has more unlikely twists than a silly straw. The police at the door part seemed a little over the top to me...for someone who accessed syllabus material and nothing else.

this

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 13 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

You could always try working for the NSA. I hear they hire high school dropouts and pay them $200k/yr.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 13 June 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

This thread reminds me a bit of the novel Crime and Punishment.

This book seems like exactly what am going through. I seem to have a problem realizing that no matter what intentions I had when committing my crime, it was still a crime and deserving of punishment. This book seems like it was made for me. Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

View Postfarrell2k, on 14 June 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

You could always try working for the NSA. I hear they hire high school dropouts and pay them $200k/yr.

That wouldn't work. The NSA has their hands full at the moment, the last thing they need is a hacker that got caught.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostCraig328, on 13 June 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

<Snip>

Well, there is no need to tell me I am a terrible person and I still sound like I haven't learned a thing. I hope that one day, I can learn from my mistake and expressed my learning experience in a manner that will be able to prove others that I have become more mature through this experience. As you have been able to unveil the meaning of my words, I have so not been effective to learning from my lesson.

And yes, you are correct. Many kids, possibly the didn't work hard, suffered under the curve, or by other means, moved out of the way in order to give me a chance or preserve my dream. I guess now I have moved out of the way for the more qualified. To ever thing I am ever qualified after this incident is ridiculous. I remember the comment that said something in the range of Make sure to not remember your surgical tools inside of a patient. I have heard jokes like that so many times, I don't feel like twitching anymore. Sadly, it is true, the amount of trust people will put in me to do such important jobs will be non-existent. Yet, I want to try everything in my power to prove to them that I am capable, both in ability and in morality. Back then, I thought only about the academic side of a person, the GPA. Yet, I remember your comment in here stating that there is more to a person than the academics, and the morality side is almost like an exam grade. I'll remember that. That is very correct. And I just failed about 20 exams in that with F's o or possibly more.

And yes, it is about time I stopped blaming the consequences of my actions on my professors, the IT security, or any other person other than myself. I am the one that caused this and therefore I am the one that has to pay. In your case, pay with everything I worked so hard for. It is a reasonable payment, and , the university have been generous to me with a suspension. Despite all that happened, they allowed me to keep my full scholarship upon my return as well. They really do care for me and want me to learn. And I will have to honor this, after coming back from my suspension, as a better person.

If you do find anything immoral about my logic. Please set me on the right path. Thank you.

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 13 June 2013 - 07:32 PM
Reason for edit:: No need to quote long posts

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

I wanted to ask, with your wisdom, what is the best option for me to do right now. I am at a cross road in my situation.

1)Continue finishing my biology degree/human physiology concentration, take Community college courses, and return to college after my suspension and graduate on time. Around the time, I will still apply for med school and let them be the judge of my incident.

2)Finish biology degree as a minor, finish all of my pre-requisite courses for med school that are required to apply, and take a major in computer science. Hopefully, with my pre-requisites, I can apply for med school. Yet if they are unable to accept me for my sins for the many compelling reasons, I can still try to attempt to start a new career in computer science. Over time, if I decide that I have mature from my incident, possibly after a decade or so, I can try to reapply to med school.

If you have other wisdom that you would like to advise me, I would be more than happy to listen. I really appreciate your input no matter what it is.

*Things to know:
1) I have a full scholarship upon my return covering all tuition.
2) I can take more than the max load of credits without paying extra.
3) My family is very poor and if I go into biology, I fear that I might be trapped in a field that would not allow me to advance into professional or graduate education -typically required in a biology degree. I fear this because I know my sins are wrong and I admit to them.
4) As soon as I graduate from my university, my full scholarship is can no longer support me. So, changing my mind is not an option after the pieces have been set.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

View Posth4nnib4l, on 13 June 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Strangely in my desperate, weak and suicidal state, I tried this reasoning too. I was extremely pathetic. I am mentally fine now. Sometimes it hurts very much to recall who I was and the extreme identity lost I suffered. But this, I learned, is a very immature way to look at one's own mistakes. I didn't know that that before and possibly I still don't get it now, but I am a bit better than what good I was before.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

We can't choose for you.

Your first choice is a Doctor.

Your second choice would potentially allow you to develop the technology that helps doctors.

Which one do you want? It's your life.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

So what charges were pressed? What is on public record? What are you required to present when you apply for medical school? What were you, if anything, convicted of?

Strangely in my desperate, weak and suicidal state

Not to call attention to that statement but if this was the case or even might still be the case go see a doctor or therapist.

This concludes my involvement in this thread

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 13 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

View Postishkabible, on 13 June 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

So what charges were pressed? What is on public record? What are you required to present when you apply for medical school? What were you, if anything, convicted of?

Strangely in my desperate, weak and suicidal state

Not to call attention to that statement but if this was the case or even might still be the case go see a doctor or therapist.

This concludes my involvement in this thread

Am fine now. I just need advice. Thanks for the concern. ^^

View PostFlukeshot, on 13 June 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

We can't choose for you.

Your first choice is a Doctor.

Your second choice would potentially allow you to develop the technology that helps doctors.

Which one do you want? It's your life.

The way you put it,"potentially allow you to develop the technology that helps doctors." It really does help me make the choice without regret.

Thanks I'll think about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +