• +
  • Last »

47 Replies - 3282 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2013 - 02:31 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advice on Programming

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hi All,
My name is Dilshad and I live in Virginia. I am a Software Test Enginer by profession. I wanted some advice from professional programmers. I want to develop/code a Software Test application which would have buttons, tabs, File, Editor, etc etc basically in graphic/GUI. It would have options such as upload/download/attachment so many things in one. My main problem is that I do not know which programming language to choose for this specific project? First I was thinking Java, but I really wanted to use C, or something related. Then I was researching on this and I thought why not Visual C++? If anyone can advise me which programming language to use would appreciate it. My email: <Removed>

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 14 June 2013 - 07:32 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed email per site policies

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice on Programming

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice on Programming

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:33 AM

Moved to Software Development.

Any of the languages you mentioned can accomplish this. Pick the one you are most comfortable with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 14 June 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

Moved to Software Development.

Any of the languages you mentioned can accomplish this. Pick the one you are most comfortable with.

Hi Mac, Thanks for the response the problem is I am totally new to programming. So...I want something which is pretty good language but along with that a easy project to deal with in case if I run into any issues. So what about Visual C++? I mean give me some tips or some advice that in the direction which I am headed is it even worth it? This would be a test application which could be used with or without internet access. Kind of like all in 1 package thing. Where I can create multiple testing applications into one package. Let me know, thanks :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:45 AM

This would be a test application which could be used with or without internet access. Kind of like all in 1 package thing. Where I can create multiple testing applications into one package. Let me know, thanks

Based on the fact that you're new to programming and the application you described, you're biting off more than you can chew and setting yourself up for failure. Start smaller- a lot smaller. Learn how to work with loops and arrays. Implement insertion sort. Learn how to "resize" an array. Use nested loops to output a diamond shape. Play with strings and palindromes. Build up your skillset starting with the basics, and you will be setting yourself up for success. Plus, the feeling of accomplishing something challenging is always rewarding.

Again- pick a language, buy a book, and take the time to work through it and the basics. That's the best advice for anyone starting out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 14 June 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

This would be a test application which could be used with or without internet access. Kind of like all in 1 package thing. Where I can create multiple testing applications into one package. Let me know, thanks

Based on the fact that you're new to programming and the application you described, you're biting off more than you can chew and setting yourself up for failure. Start smaller- a lot smaller. Learn how to work with loops and arrays. Implement insertion sort. Learn how to "resize" an array. Use nested loops to output a diamond shape. Play with strings and palindromes. Build up your skillset starting with the basics, and you will be setting yourself up for success. Plus, the feeling of accomplishing something challenging is always rewarding.

Again- pick a language, buy a book, and take the time to work through it and the basics. That's the best advice for anyone starting out.

Thanks Mac, appreciate your response, I will start off with Visual C++ and learn the basics to advance. Can I install Visual C++ on a Windows 7? Meaning if it has compiler or anything related to it? I bet it costs a lot though...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

I believe Visual Studio Express is free.

http://www.microsoft...xpress-products
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostDilshad1, on 14 June 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Hi All,
My name is Dilshad and I live in Virginia. I am a Software Test Enginer by profession. I wanted some advice from professional programmers. I want to develop/code a Software Test application which would have buttons, tabs, File, Editor, etc etc basically in graphic/GUI. It would have options such as upload/download/attachment so many things in one.

This is not much of a statement of the problem. An applications with buttons, tabs, and so forth?

What does it do? Suppose I want to use it - what am I trying to do, and how do I go about using your program to do it?
"Software test application" doesn't tell me much.

Programming is about solving problems, not about the symbols that represent the solution in some particular language. To solve a problem you have to understand what the problem is, and then break it down into sensible pieces until the pieces can be understood by a computer. This is more or less the same process no matter what language you use.

First I was thinking Java, but I really wanted to use C, or something related

Pick a language to learn and learn it. Java's as good a one as any. Straight C would be challenging, C++ less so.

I'm curious about this strong urge towards C. Can you expand on that?

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 14 June 2013 - 07:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:27 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 14 June 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

I believe Visual Studio Express is free.

http://www.microsoft...xpress-products

Thanks will try this out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 14 June 2013 - 07:56 AM, said:

View PostDilshad1, on 14 June 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Hi All,
My name is Dilshad and I live in Virginia. I am a Software Test Enginer by profession. I wanted some advice from professional programmers. I want to develop/code a Software Test application which would have buttons, tabs, File, Editor, etc etc basically in graphic/GUI. It would have options such as upload/download/attachment so many things in one.

This is not much of a statement of the problem. An applications with buttons, tabs, and so forth?

What does it do? Suppose I want to use it - what am I trying to do, and how do I go about using your program to do it?
"Software test application" doesn't tell me much.

Programming is about solving problems, not about the symbols that represent the solution in some particular language. To solve a problem you have to understand what the problem is, and then break it down into sensible pieces until the pieces can be understood by a computer. This is more or less the same process no matter what language you use.

First I was thinking Java, but I really wanted to use C, or something related

Pick a language to learn and learn it. Java's as good a one as any. Straight C would be challenging, C++ less so.

I'm curious about this strong urge towards C. Can you expand on that?

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the reply. A test application is where after the development is finished within a program/application the test engineer "tests" the application to see if it functions as a user wants it to function. For example, a calculator is being developed and the required documentation states of how actually this piece of application should work - as in to test out those functionalities and see if it works or not. If it doesn't it's failed and it does then it's passed. If we click 1 + 1 = 2 then it's functioning as a user expects it to...

Although this would be more advanced since this test application can test various other applications once they are developed, Medical, Finance, etc.... The reason why I was thinking C since Java in past I had difficulty with, so I just thought to try C. Now I am thinking Visual C++....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Why not use an existing tool for test harnesses?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 14 June 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

Why not use an existing tool for test harnesses?

Well the thing is that's why I want to develop it. I want to develop a new testing tool which has all capabilities to test other applications. So I thought why not develop something unique something different.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostDilshad1, on 14 June 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Hi Jon,
Thanks for the reply. A test application is where after the development is finished within a program/application the test engineer "tests" the application to see if it functions as a user wants it to function. For example, a calculator is being developed and the required documentation states of how actually this piece of application should work - as in to test out those functionalities and see if it works or not. If it doesn't it's failed and it does then it's passed. If we click 1 + 1 = 2 then it's functioning as a user expects it to...

Although this would be more advanced since this test application can test various other applications once they are developed, Medical, Finance, etc.... The reason why I was thinking C since Java in past I had difficulty with, so I just thought to try C. Now I am thinking Visual C++....

I'm actually familiar with acceptance testing... :) I was more curious about what your program does, and I still don't have a very good idea. Is this a sort of automated test script? The point I'm getting at is, your first step is to describe the program in detail. Once you've done that, you can build it.

As an aside, if my fuzzy conception of what you're trying to make is correct, I suspect that something of this sort already exists. That shouldn't stop you from building it, if you want, but if you just want the functionality it's probably already available.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 14 June 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

View PostDilshad1, on 14 June 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Hi Jon,

I'm actually familiar with acceptance testing... :)/> I was more curious about what your program does, and I still don't have a very good idea. Is this a sort of automated test script? The point I'm getting at is, your first step is to describe the program in detail. Once you've done that, you can build it.

As an aside, if my fuzzy conception of what you're trying to make is correct, I suspect that something of this sort already exists. That shouldn't stop you from building it, if you want, but if you just want the functionality it's probably already available.

:) Usually you are right, it does exist already, but I thought why not make a new tool with extra features, automation as well as manual. Probably a capable tool where you can change background color, play music, add extra features within the program like a webcam, a chat session....something unique even if it exists tune it up a bit i thought
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

The reason why I was thinking C since Java in past I had difficulty with, so I just thought to try C. Now I am thinking Visual C++....

What was it about Java that you struggled with? Java is C++ with some of the difficult bits eliminated. As you can imagine, that's a flawed and incomplete description but if Java is a struggle, C++ will be near impossible.

C might be conceptually easier. It follows a simpler model that Java or C++. However, when it comes to actually building a larger program, the more sophisticated object orientated features of Java and C++ make things easier.

If it's only a matter of integration with Windows, then C or C++ might be a better bet. Don't discount other languages, though. I hear good things about Python.

This post has been edited by cfoley: 14 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

View Postcfoley, on 14 June 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

The reason why I was thinking C since Java in past I had difficulty with, so I just thought to try C. Now I am thinking Visual C++....

What was it about Java that you struggled with? Java is C++ with some of the difficult bits eliminated. As you can imagine, that's a flawed and incomplete description but if Java is a struggle, C++ will be near impossible.

C might be conceptually easier. It follows a simpler model that Java or C++. However, when it comes to actually building a larger program, the more sophisticated object orientated features of Java and C++ make things easier.

If it's only a matter of integration with Windows, then C or C++ might be a better bet. Don't discount other languages, though. I hear good things about Python.

I think with Java introductory was easy, but as it got "harder" the more I started taking Tylenol - Extra Strength for headaches :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »