• +

47 Replies - 3790 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2013 - 02:31 AM

#16 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice on Programming

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

Programming is hard. It doesn't matter what language you are working in. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 14 June 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

Programming is hard. It doesn't matter what language you are working in. :)/>

Yup :) That is what I fear! If I stumble on to something and get stuck, I spend few hours and then give up, but this time I will keep on doing until I get it - that is what I do get stuck in something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

You're not going to get very far with programming if you give up when you get stuck. I find that it's disciplined search that gives me the most reliable results. You can't just "try stuff until something works", which is the usual first impulse. You have to make hypotheses and test them, and ideally you should be keeping notes of what you've tried.
One very useful trick is to isolate the problem. If you're stuck with a problem in the middle of a program you're working on, try to reproduce just that problem in a throwaway program, and solve it there. Simplifying helps - then you can export the solution you find back to your real program.
Asking questions in the java forum here at DIC also helps. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 14 June 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

You're not going to get very far with programming if you give up when you get stuck. I find that it's disciplined search that gives me the most reliable results. You can't just "try stuff until something works", which is the usual first impulse. You have to make hypotheses and test them, and ideally you should be keeping notes of what you've tried.
One very useful trick is to isolate the problem. If you're stuck with a problem in the middle of a program you're working on, try to reproduce just that problem in a throwaway program, and solve it there. Simplifying helps - then you can export the solution you find back to your real program.
Asking questions in the java forum here at DIC also helps. :)/>

That is true! This time when I learn the language I am going to be disciplined and not give up so easily. Every problem has a solution, so I will try as many resources as possible :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

:) Just wanted to give a heads up! I downloaded the Visual Studio and using trial version I believe, I am just starting out on "Beginner tutorials" just searching on google.com and yahoo. Let me know which books you prefer to read I will head out to my local Regional Library and learn very basics for now.

Also to top it off, what would you advice on how to study the material for a beginner to understand Visual C++? I mean let's say I start off reading the basics, and try to understand them, should I memorize all of this, or just practice practice and practice until I know what I am doing etc?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Practice and feel free to experiment. From my experience, most of the learning actually happens not due to the successes, but from all failed attempts that lead to the successes.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#22 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Read a little, practice a lot. If you read half a book (or even a full chapter) before you start typing some programs out, you'll never remember even half of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#23 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

Can't stress this enough: start with small programs - not even programs, just exercises. What you want to do at first is just get used to making things that run and do what you expect them to. You should always know what you expect them to do - and if they don't do what you expect, you should stop and figure out what you expected to happen, and what happened instead.

Later on, when you're writing larger programs, you're going to need to be able to deploy these ideas without thinking about them. The more thinking you do now, the easier that will be later.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 17 June 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

Practice and feel free to experiment. From my experience, most of the learning actually happens not due to the successes, but from all failed attempts that lead to the successes.

Thanks, seems like a good plan, going to play around with it and get serious in relating to learning very basics and practice along with it.

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 17 June 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Can't stress this enough: start with small programs - not even programs, just exercises. What you want to do at first is just get used to making things that run and do what you expect them to. You should always know what you expect them to do - and if they don't do what you expect, you should stop and figure out what you expected to happen, and what happened instead.

Later on, when you're writing larger programs, you're going to need to be able to deploy these ideas without thinking about them. The more thinking you do now, the easier that will be later.

You are so right - you know my main problem is memorizing. If I do learn the basics there will be a time that I will forget what it is and what it's used for, so I really need to work on this since I want the information to be permanent in my brain in the future.

View Postcfoley, on 17 June 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Read a little, practice a lot. If you read half a book (or even a full chapter) before you start typing some programs out, you'll never remember even half of it.

I wish I had like a instructor who gave me mini-homeworks as I worked along....these kind of things help a lot.... then mini exercises with definitions etc
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 14 June 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

Moved to Software Development.

Any of the languages you mentioned can accomplish this. Pick the one you are most comfortable with.

How do you add friends on this? I clicked below the "little guy" with green dot thing. I tried on yours and it gave me this error:

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10273] nopermission
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#26 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

I have to approve all my friend requests. I thought I approved yours. It's telling me I have to wait five minutes before I can re-add you.

Edit- It just let me add you.

I wish I had like a instructor who gave me mini-homeworks as I worked along....these kind of things help a lot.... then mini exercises with definitions etc

Google for intro to programming classes. Chances are, you'll find one where the instructor posts his or her assignments online for the students. Or buy a book with exercises in them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 18 June 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

I have to approve all my friend requests. I thought I approved yours. It's telling me I have to wait five minutes before I can re-add you.

Edit- It just let me add you.

Google for intro to programming classes. Chances are, you'll find one where the instructor posts his or her assignments online for the students. Or buy a book with exercises in them.

Can Visual C++ be used for video game programming as well? Such as xbox, PS4, etc? Or only C++ is considered for video game programming?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

Sorry for the duplicate post, I realized later when I scrolled down there is a Game Development section. Anyways let me know the answer since it seems that Gaming app might be what I am heading for at this moment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

C++ is the industry standard. XNA can be used for PS4. You're quite a ways off from writing a game of significant complexity though. Start small and work your way up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#30 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostDilshad1, on 19 June 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

Can Visual C++ be used for video game programming as well? Such as xbox, PS4, etc? Or only C++ is considered for video game programming?

It would be more C++ and less of the 'Visual' part. C++ with DirectX.. or C++ with OpenGL.. etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +