• +
  • « First

47 Replies - 3723 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2013 - 02:31 AM

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice on Programming

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for the advice Butch. I will take it into consideration.

I have a pretty good idea of what I want to accomplish. And a pretty good idea of how to get there. (And that's not to become a professional games programmer working for some company. Just saying.)

So while I appreciate the advice and will consider it, you'll have to excuse me, because me and my copy of DX11 have a lot of earth to get moving. ;-)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostButchDean, on 19 June 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

I feel you have absolutely no direction on how you wish to learn how to make games. The way that I learned, as has already been pointed out, is to actually learn to program first. I can see already that you are not going in the right direction at all in your quest to make games. Why? Because you are very heavily relying on others to direct your path, and if you can't even direct your own learning you have no chance of making games.

Think for yourself, work out what you need to do, do it!

Hi Thanks for the response, yes you are right, for now I was just getting resources what it takes to make games, so recently I have started to learn C++ programming starting from very basics. So it will obviously take time and then I will proceed with games when I learn many things.

View PostMarkDev, on 20 June 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

View PostButchDean, on 20 June 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

I feel you have absolutely no direction on how you wish to learn how to make games. The way that I learned, as has already been pointed out, is to actually learn to program first. I can see already that you are not going in the right direction at all in your quest to make games. Why? Because you are very heavily relying on others to direct your path, and if you can't even direct your own learning you have no chance of making games.

Think for yourself, work out what you need to do, do it!

Exactly.. He wants to learn programming instantly without spending much time and effort to understand the basics. You're thinking more about what the language can do than what you really need or what you need to do.

Programming is process of learning, you have to work your sucks off as they said and it would definitely take time, that's why it is important to have some goal that is achievable even just a simple such as i.e print a text on the screen, changing the colour background, clearing clipboard, switching text places etc. something that is very basic even if it's seems to be stupid and doesn't have logic at all, and then progress to something more complex (not talking about games yet) by using different statements of the language of your choice. It is also important to focus to only one specific language and to note that you won't learn by just reading online books & resources and posting on forums without properly digesting them.

You are correct, that is why I am learning very basics for now from C++ and will work my way up, and one day hopefully reach the gaming passion. I just hope I get it if i put in the effort I got a habit of forgetting things easily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:31 AM

C++ or Java
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)