Why do the Australians have the cool army chief? (Can we borrow him?)

• (3 Pages)
  • +

32 Replies - 1322 Views - Last Post: 18 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Why do the Australians have the cool army chief? (Can we borrow him?)

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

POPULAR

I imagine this has been seen by everyone in the world, since I've now seen it, but just in case: if you haven't seen the

Message from the Chief of Army, Lieutenant General David Morrison, AO, to the Australian Army following the announcement on Thursday, 13 June 2013 of civilian police and Defence investigations into allegations of unacceptable behaviour by Army members.

you really ought to take a look. Made me proud to be an Australian, and I'm not even an Australian.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 8
  • +

Replies To: Why do the Australians have the cool army chief? (Can we borrow him?)

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why do the Australians have the cool army chief? (Can we borrow him?)

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

Is there a non-flash(?) version of this. video isn't working on my phone :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

A very noble performance indeed. But who's to say that he actually holds that opinion? Would he still stick to his words while off-duty? Does he care about the degradation of women outside of his institution?

I'd love it to be so but I'm a cynic, so I think this one - like many others in positions of authority - trying to save face or doing it because his personal opinion might cost him that position.

I hope I'm wrong, sincerely.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

Doesn't matter what he thinks on his off-time, what matters is that it happened under the public image of the army.

Class act of that guy to talk about it. Many people are hush hush and it actually sounds like a big issue in the army. I forgot the exact story but I was listening about how they were implementing new ways of bringing justice to those who have been assaulted in the army (sexually or otherwise) without the repercussions of the current system in place.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

That's true but if everybody could hold the opinion, in and out of work, the problem would cease to exist and the world would be a better place.

I don't support chauvinism or feminism. Both are as bad as each other in my opinion.

This post has been edited by Flukeshot: 15 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:23 AM

View PostFlukeshot, on 15 June 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

A very noble performance indeed. But who's to say that he actually holds that opinion? Would he still stick to his words while off-duty? Does he care about the degradation of women outside of his institution?

I'd love it to be so but I'm a cynic, so I think this one - like many others in positions of authority - trying to save face or doing it because his personal opinion might cost him that position.

I hope I'm wrong, sincerely.

I think it would be equally honorable that, even if he held different personal views, that he does not let them get in the way. It would still further the slow progress twords gender equality.

It's good enough for me.

View PostFlukeshot, on 16 June 2013 - 12:49 AM, said:

That's true but if everybody could hold the opinion, in and out of work, the problem would cease to exist and the world would be a better place.

I don't support chauvinism or feminism. Both are as bad as each other in my opinion.

"The important thing is that you've found a way to feel superior to both"

You're just playing the middle ground to reduce the amount of things people can criticize you for. Obviously it will not work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

Saw this a few days ago. I like how he manages to maintain a certain simmering rage gravitas during the entire thing. If this is NOT his opinion, he deserves an Oscar.

View PostFlukeshot, on 16 June 2013 - 02:49 AM, said:

I don't think that word means what you think it means... One is the support of inequality, the other the support of equality. It's rather bizarre to put them together.

This post has been edited by baavgai: 16 June 2013 - 02:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:38 AM

Thanks to those Atheist+ whackjobs, there's a branch of oppressively politically correct feminism that's pretty much the opposite flavor of equal evil. You're thinking of the original point of feminism which was a reaction to the classical male dominated society which would indeed be a struggle for gender equality. The word has been hijacked with people who chant "Check your privilege!" and who try to censor their critics..

Just like how they're trying to hijack "Atheism", and "Skepticism".

I've been saying "Gender Equality" long before all this because I thought the word "feminism" showed too much gender bias. Yes, and I'm the one who think New 'Feminists' are out of their minds!

I used to think I had the most extreme and adamant views, but it's good to know there's always people in the world who are crazier.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 16 June 2013 - 02:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:44 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 16 June 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

"The important thing is that you've found a way to feel superior to both".

Yes. Any person who disagrees with chauvinistic and feministic behaviour is, in fact, superior to both.

View PostWolfCoder, on 16 June 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

You're just playing the middle ground to reduce the amount of things people can criticize you for. Obviously it will not work

Why would you feel like it was a good idea to criticize someone who supports equality? It's not a middle ground.

View Postbaavgai, on 16 June 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

I don't think that word means what you think it means... One is the support of inequality, the other the support of equality. It's rather bizarre to put them together.

I'd support with feminism. But there are those within that don't want equality, they just want to turn the tables. I can't agree with that.

View PostWolfCoder, on 16 June 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

I've been saying "Gender Equality" long before all this because I thought the word "feminism" showed too much gender bias.

This.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

Well now you just want to aggressively agree with us, don't you? :3
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:55 AM

Aggressively agreeing with you was my stance all along, you just didn't understand my words. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 16 June 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

The word has been hijacked with people who chant "Check your privilege!" and who try to censor their critics..

Understood. However, the definition of the word is clear. Those who choose to misuse it are, simply, wrong.

It's an odd phenomena that those who choose to associate with a given group or cause, and speak most loudly about it, are usually those most on the fringe and least representative of that group as a whole. The loudest self appointed representatives for gender, race, religion, star wars, whatever, are usually embarrassing at best and, at worst, damaging to the cause they claim to embrace.

I do not want to cede "feminism" to the fringe. However, if they've perverted it enough, then maybe "gender equality
is the reasonable alternative.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

View PostFlukeshot, on 16 June 2013 - 01:49 AM, said:

This is the most unbearably weak thinking I've seen in ages. If you actually believe that the world would be better off without "the problem" - presumably that being sexism - then you're pretty much a feminist by definition.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:13 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 16 June 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

Doesn't matter what he thinks on his off-time, what matters is that it happened under the public image of the army.

Class act of that guy to talk about it. Many people are hush hush and it actually sounds like a big issue in the army. I forgot the exact story but I was listening about how they were implementing new ways of bringing justice to those who have been assaulted in the army (sexually or otherwise) without the repercussions of the current system in place.

Class act indeed. Even if he was just mouthing words for PR purposes he's still head and shoulders above the US brass, who were recently seen arguing that prosecuting rape and assault would be bad for unit morale. He laid down a firm position that left not a lot of wiggle room - even if he doesn't personally believe it, it's hard for him to back off of what he said here.

And while I suppose it's entirely possible that he got off the set and said "well, that'll keep those silly skirts happy for a while", I think that's not likely. If you think that's plausible, then find a position that you do not agree with, and try to deliver three minutes supporting that position, without notes, without breaking gaze with the camera, without even blinking more than maybe twice. This performance would be hard to fake. Possible, but hard.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

The video was definitely PR. He's the head of the army, for crissake. I don't know the details of how the Aus army works but I'll go ahead and assume it functions much the same way most Anglo based armies do and that they have a code of military conduct and an internal judicial setup and that judiciary reports to him and take their orders from him.

If the head of the army is indeed this adamant about the issue then prosecute the everloving shit out of the guilty, give them a harsh sentence THEN produce a video with this opinion and punctuate it by saying that recent severe penalties were handed down in accordance with these opinions and will be the way things are done under his command. Period.

I get the necessity for the army to retain a superior image with the civilian population but, IMHO, words only count for so much. I assume he was head of the army when the activities that prompted this video occurred. Perhaps he needs to consider ensuring his troops tow the official line (which is his job to set) rather than talking about doing it.

Don't get me wrong: bravo for his PR video. He'd be a lot more serious if he was busy matching actions to words tho.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +