11 Replies - 761 Views - Last Post: 19 June 2013 - 05:30 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Protocols and Java

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'm a beginner at Java and have an interest in networking. I can write simple client server TCP and UDP chat program's though now I want to start learning about protocols though I have no idea how to. Much of the information on the net seems to relate to more theoretical concepts and less about how it is related and applied to certain languages like Java which is why I have no clue about how to implement them. I tried to read some RFC documents though they seem to relate to deep concepts which I could not understand. What do you guys think I should do, it's a stumbling block. Even youtube videos are limited on java application of protocols and peer to peer networking which is something I also tried to learn though soon gave up as I didn't know how to. Please Help.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Protocols and Java

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Protocols and Java

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

I'd start with the Java Networking Tutoracles and go from there. It will familiarize you with what Java offers in this respect, and hopefully give you a better idea of how to proceed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 18 June 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

I'd start with the Java Networking Tutoracles and go from there. It will familiarize you with what Java offers in this respect, and hopefully give you a better idea of how to proceed.

I've been through it. Thanks for replying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

A lot of the protocols are fairly high-level though. They should talk about connections. Each language has its own set of nuances.

Peer-to-peer is just when two peers send and receive data to each other. So think about the sockets making the connections in this manner.

Do you feel comfortable with the Java networking API? I'm not sure what type of help you're looking for, when you've got the documents on the protocols, as well as documentation on the Java networking API. We're happy to clarify points with more targeted questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

I'm comfortable with concepts like URL and Transport layer protocols like UDP and TCP which is what Java networking tutorialt goes through though dont really know much about Application layer protocols in Java. I'm learning more specific to Java since it is the first programming language I'm learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Look at the Application Layer Protocols. A lot of them are already implemented, and you should use existing libraries (often times 3rd party libraries) to implement solutions. I wouldn't suggest reinventing the wheel on things like IMAP.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'll read into them more, thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

Glad I could help!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 18 June 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

Look at the Application Layer Protocols. A lot of them are already implemented, and you should use existing libraries (often times 3rd party libraries) to implement solutions. I wouldn't suggest reinventing the wheel on things like IMAP.

Or go for it if you want. If you want to understand wheels, the best way to do it is to build one. (in fact, I'm going to reinvent a wheel for my bike in about two months, I'm looking forward to it)
Which way you go on this depends what you want to do, really. If you're looking to make an email client, probably you don't want to start by implementing the underlying protocols. If you want to really grok the IMAP protocol, then maybe you want to get down into those weeds. It's all up to you.

The important thing around here, though, is if you want good answers, you have to ask good questions. The more general the question, the more likely people will just punt and send you to a link - 'cause we don't really know what you're looking for!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#10 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

Also, to add, a lot of this material is pretty relevant in college Networking and Computer Architecture classes in the CS department. Most of these classes will probably be at the 3000-4000 level (junior-senior level). Check out the textbooks and resources on the course webpages you find. A lot of the material will be abstracted out, or perhaps with C implementation snippet; but if you understand the concepts, you should be able to implement it. And as you weed through the concepts, ask questions (possibly here)!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

I've decided to begin learning SMTP first, I understand the syntax though not sure how it is run. I can't run it from eclipse it seems since the syntax is not accepted. I've seen videos on youtube which point to installing some SMTP server or running through telnet on cmd, though I don't seem to have telnet neither.

So what is the simplest way of running the actual SMTP message?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

I kind of understand the difference now, I'm finding telnet really interesting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1