12 Replies - 2424 Views - Last Post: 14 September 2007 - 12:34 AM

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Acer Buys Gateway for $710 Million Cash

Post icon  Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:28 PM

Taiwan-based PC manufacturer Acer has announced that it will purchase rival firm Gateway for $710 million in an all-cash deal. Combined, the two companies should ship more than 20 million PCs annually with revenues of over $15 billion.

Read the entire article on Ars Technica at - http://arstechnica.c...rts-lenovo.html

Now I don't feel as out casted owning an Acer laptop. Hopefully this will prompt Acer to fix their jacked up website and make it seem like their a legitimate company...

Anyways, this is a pretty big deal.

Discuss,

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Acer Buys Gateway for $710 Million Cash

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Acer Buys Gateway for $710 Million Cash

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:38 PM

my wife likes her acer laptop. and I suppose that the old gateway im typing this up on is now an acer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

And for a web perspective on this, Acer has agreements with Yahoo and Gateway has agreements with Google to ship their systems with the respective companies search toolbar/defaults set. If Acer moves for Gateway to use the Yahoo defaults, it could influence search market share dramatically. Currently Google has about 63% market share and Yahoo around 20%.

I'm sure both Google and Yahoo are working very hard to win over Acer for 100% of their business.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

View PostMarkoDaGeek, on 27 Aug, 2007 - 01:28 PM, said:

Taiwan-based PC manufacturer Acer has announced that it will purchase rival firm Gateway for $710 million in an all-cash deal. Combined, the two companies should ship more than 20 million PCs annually with revenues of over $15 billion.

That'll be about 19 million PCs annually returned with defects. Sounds like a you'll be buying a lot more Acer laptops at BestBuy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:50 PM

Not really, if anything it should improve the overall quality of the product. My Acer laptop is acceptable quality, I haven't owned a Gateway in a long time, if ever... I assumed they had a reasonable product.

Hopefully this will end up like the Lenovo/IBM merger and not the HP/Compaq merger and the products will be the same or better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Proud supporter of the lulz
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:53 PM

I used to love Gateway more than I did Acer. Hopefully, like Marko mentionned, it`ll straighten out some wrinkles on both sides.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:59 PM

MarkoDaGeek: Now I don't feel as out casted owning an Acer laptop.

I know exactly how you feel! i love my acer it has done very well in my programming classes...though somewhat slower than everyone else's $1000+ Dell, I like to think of it on par with most of them (and far outweighs them in terms of transporting a <4lbs notebook vs 10+lbs notebook)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

I always thought Acer was crap simply because Futureshop here in Canada is pushing them. It seems whatever Futureshop pushes is garbage low end. I don't know if any of you remember Cicero at Futureshop.... pure garbage and now Futureshop won't push it anymore. They have moved on to Acer.

I am guessing it is ok for the low end users but I prefer the better stuff that can give me slick performance. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:25 AM

Hi

G'night
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2007 - 05:46 AM

Alot of soldiers buy acers because there cheap and usually your laptop gets f-ed up on deployments. So far i have had no complaints about them. But ill stick with my "1000$+ Dell" and just to throw it out there. My dell weighs less then any acer i have seen. XPS M1210 go check it.

This post has been edited by TophCoder: 29 August 2007 - 05:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:22 AM

I dunno about that, a big XPS weighing less then an Acer. My Aspire is less then 5 pounds. Its super light.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

I actually like my pavillion dv6000+us series laptop, it's small and has a nice balance of power. The only thing I didn't like is that it came with Vista (which can be replaced as I have done) and that the screen keeps bending and taking the silver paint off the key letters and plastic housing so there's this silver line and dots on the screen now (which won't come off). I'll try and find a way to fix it but I only see it when the screen is black.

I put a soft cloth between the keyboard and the screen when I take it with me in my backpack now to prevent further paint transfer. Other than that it's got good ports, a nice wireless card, HD audio with multiple head phone outputs (so two people can listen to music off the laptop without having to get a Y-splitter), a remote (which still works when reverted to XP). Plus it's real light and you can buy a BFB if you don't like the normal 6-cell battery.

I will probably actually replace this with a non-proprietary ACER laptop build so I can upgrade the parts independently. I saw a few non-proprietary ACER series laptops and thought it was cool you could make a custom made laptop yourself as easily as a desktop, however in that particular store they were priced way too high ($2,400 for a mid-range ACER customizable laptop???).

So I'm not sure. I really love my custom job desktop and I really want my next laptop in a few years to be as customizable as that beast.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:34 AM

Acer computers in general have came a long, long, way. As companies like Dell, Gateway, and HP have been bloating their products with junk software and putting more and more lower end hardware in their systems, Acer has been doing the opposite. My AcerPower desktop I'm using right now was $500 new with XP Pro. I added a good power supply, more ram, and a gfx card and ended up with a nice computer for about $800. I've had this one for 3 years and it has not crashed once on me and is powerful enough to run games like Doom 3, Tomb Raider, and HL2. (It won't be running Crysis, but we can't expect miracles) No hardware issues, no driver conflicts, no lack of support for opengl/whatever by the chipsets, just no problems at all, and no bloated software!

This post has been edited by brightico: 14 September 2007 - 12:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1