5 Replies - 1248 Views - Last Post: 19 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Small bit of guidance

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:42 AM

Hello guys, I am looking to get some guidance with my course/career path choices and thought this may be a good place to start. Apologies if this is not the right section, if not please let me know and I will repost.

I was hoping to work towards becoming a network engineer, or something along the lines of. The course I initially wanted to do was:

http://www.gateshead...uk/courses/full ... nd-netwo...

I have thought about this for some time and found that this is the course is the best local course I can do, as it also gives me the chance to do the Cisco CCNA qualifications as well as getting the BTEC which would allow me to advance on to university.

I went into the college and was told that doing this course would be a step back as I am eligble to do:
Comptung and Systems Development
http://www.gateshead...uk/courses/high ... tware-de...

This course is very different to the one I was considering and seems to be more business orientated rather than technical. I have no experience in programming etc but would be willing to learn. This course allows me to do 2 years, and then an extra year to top it up to a full degree. I was advised that this course would give me a lot more employability but I am unsure it's something I'd have interest in. I've done some research into the course and it does sound extremely useful although like I say I was thinking more along the lines of networking.
The extra units are also available to be changed but it all depends on how much interested is in that particular unit.

My main questions are:
Could someone please summarise the job roles I could get after fully completing these courses/further degrees, or maybe give me some pros and cons?

Is it worth putting in the extra time and doing the networking course I was origonally considering?

How would employabiity be after completing each of the courses?

Is there any where specific I could ask more, or begin looking to find out more?

I think I mostly want to go with the networking course but would really like to ensure this is the course for me.

I know I'm pushing the boat out asking questions about the first course on the list as this is web development specific but I'm exploring every avenue. It would be great if there was someone I could discuss this with to try and rack my brains a little further.

Anything useful would be greatly appreciated as currently I am beginning to pull out my hair. Hope you can help!

Thanks,
Jordan

Realised the links aren't working!

Networking course:
http://www.gateshead...ystems-support/

Computing + System Dev:
http://www.gateshead...ms-development/

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Small bit of guidance

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Small bit of guidance

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

Moving to the school section.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

Thanks very much mate.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

[quote]Could someone please summarise the job roles I could get after fully completing these courses/further degrees, or maybe give me some pros and cons?

Who knows? Seriously.. there's a plethora of jobs that fit under either, both, and then some.

The support - at the most basic level you are Toolbelt Tim... fixing machines for a company, setting up machines as they come in, and running networking and cabling.

The other is more generalized.. so it could be that.. or a Programming Pete.. or a Business Analyst Al, or Program Manager Polly.. or Web Designer Wilma.. it's up to what you want to.

Is it worth putting in the extra time and doing the networking course I was origonally considering?

What? Personally I would go for the highest education bang for your buck.. but that's me.. and I am not you.

How would employabiity be after completing each of the courses?

I have no idea where you are, what the job climate is, your work ethic, or any other bit about you. So yes? No? Maybe!

Is there any where specific I could ask more, or begin looking to find out more?

If you are unsure of the questions to ask I definitely do not know where to start.

I think I mostly want to go with the networking course but would really like to ensure this is the course for me.

Ultimately it is up to you. Do something *you* would enjoy, and stop trying to hedge your bets against what ever you think may or may not be out there. You enjoy the networking/sys admin side - then go for it. Chortle contently as you do.

Nut up and make some choices. Yes it is possible that five, thirteen, or twenty-three years down the line this might not be right, but that's the joy of it.. you draw your line in the sand and head a direction. If it doesn't work out - for what ever reason - then you stop, regroup, and refocus.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. It's such a big decision and I just don't know where to begin. Now you summarise my questions seem a bit pointless. Like I say the second course makes me feel more secure in terms of getting a job as it's more like being a jack of all trades giving me the choice to choose my job role rather than training into something specific. In terms of employability I was meaning it to be more generalised although I know it's massively effected by your local area. There seems really to be jobs in both topics.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Great.. you are going to do something that has jobs.. stellar. That makes the whole "big decision" into not a large one. If both have the grip of jobs then it becomes a choice of what you would like to learn. Right? If both outcomes are positive with jobs then the deciding factor is your interest.

Just because one is less networking intensive than the other doesn't mean you stop learning about networking and sys admin work. FFS if that's what trips your trigger then you should be already looking into doing it yourself... on your own time.. right now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1