11 Replies - 1889 Views - Last Post: 24 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

#1 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Job Hunting : Sources, what works what doesn't?

Post icon  Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

This topic is kind of a two part, & really depends on what side of the field you are playing. With recent events at my shop I find myself needing a 2nd technician. One to dedicate to Apple iOS devices, & one to just about everything else. After quite a few worth-less technicians, & plenty of hopeless applicants, I started to reach out to other leaders at other technology places we do business with. It has been recommended time & time again that I reach out to those doing contract work on Craigslist & offer them a position or to come in and work.

Now, from the opposite side of the perspective a friend of mine who was looking for work on Craigslist wasn't find quality clients. I suggested that he not look on Craigslist at all. His response to this was quite surprising to me. That being 'well how should I look for work?'. In my teenage years of part-time employment I would go from place to place filling out applications, shaking hands & providing a resume. As time progressed temp-services started to provide a low-risk alternative to employers to take on new employees. So one would have to prove themselves before being invited to be a part of the team. Now everything is conveniently done online, using services like Career Builder, Monster, Linked In, & now apparently Craigslist.

My question to the members of Dream In Code is what has worked for you? How did you break through? How do you get good, quality clients for work on a regular basis? What advice to you offer to those that are looking to get their feet wet?

Does Craiglist really yield good workers & quality paying clients? If this question seems odd to you, please remember that I am from Ohio.

What has worked for you, what hasn't? Please feel free to share your best & worst experiences :)/> R.I.P. RentACoder.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Job Hunting : Sources, what works what doesn't?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Job Hunting : Sources, what works what doesn't?

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

I slum craigslist when I know I have a block of time and looking for some one off clients. Though darn near 90% of those people have unrealistic expectations, no money, or are looking for something totally different.

Personally - when looking for a job - I check a few places:
careerlink.com (ohio.careerlink.com for you)
dice.com
linkedin.com
and my local paper.

For you - depending on the tech level you might want to talk to the local juco or community college's IT department and see about putting the word out for their folks to push folks to you as an internship or entry level job.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

If you're in need of a tech, you might check out Snag-A-Job. My dad just used this and found a quality find. And it saved him a lot of the filtering with phone calls, interviews, etc. Certainly there was some of that, but Snag-A-Job did a good job on filtering a lot of the crap candidates.

He owns an electrical wholesaler, and was looking for a counter person. So someone who was fairly familiar with the industry and materials, but not someone too expensive. The pay grade in comparison to a tech is probably somewhat comparable.

Hope this helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Start by hiring the people that have spent months and years risking their lives for their country.
http://www.showyourstripes.org/

Not only do they have the training and dedication but have a military grade work ethic that can't be matched by civilian weenies.

After risking their lives in environments most people would never go in, the least employers can do is give them preferred hiring consideration when they get back home.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

You could also partner with the disabled. Think Beyond the label: Ohio.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 19 June 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

For you - depending on the tech level you might want to talk to the local juco or community college's IT department and see about putting the word out for their folks to push folks to you as an internship or entry level job.

I have to echo this. My work place looks for entry level techs from the local community collage as they have CST and Networking programs. Also, a number of the teachers are former employees from there so that helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

Get enough good code on Github, sell yourself well and connect a lot on LinkedIn, go to Hackathons and Conferences, and I will be legitimately surprised if you don't have recruiters consistently beating down your door.

As for how to find these people, look for people with some passion. People that are deeply involved in the community are great to work with most of the time, just avoid the legendary types in most any languages as they tend to be difficult.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

I had someone trying to recruit me to move to NYC and work for some startup because they saw that I had a few Chrome extensions on my Github page.

But LinkedIn was actually how I got my new job; I usually ignore recruiter messages, but this guy said a few magic words that made me pay attention.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

I apply directly. I find that most emails I get from recruiters are for positions I don't find that interesting anyway, so I just maintain a mental list of places or kinds of places I'd like to work. When I'm looking for a new position, I refer to that list and apply directly to the company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

• I've had some success with Odesk. It is remote working like 'rentacoder' but if you only work for top rated employers, only apply for jobs that you are really qualified for, and go for an hourly rate then it can be not a bad deal.
  • www.indeed.com is really quite good, it scrapes a lot of different job listing sites in an attempt to be a Google-quality search engine for jobs.
  • careers.stackoverflow.com is something I check almost EVERY DAY. It has a 'remote jobs' section with some top companies, and you might even find a few jobs in your local area. The quality of the job postings tend to be good.

This post has been edited by wordswords: 21 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostLemur, on 19 June 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

Get enough good code on Github, sell yourself well and connect a lot on LinkedIn, go to Hackathons and Conferences, and I will be legitimately surprised if you don't have recruiters consistently beating down your door.

That might explain a recent rash of emails lately from persons "having seen" my github page.

I always thought it was a email address scrape and blanket spam.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

View Postsnoj, on 24 June 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

View PostLemur, on 19 June 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

That might explain a recent rash of emails lately from persons "having seen" my github page.

I always thought it was a email address scrape and blanket spam.

If you're active and have a lot of code commits, especially to Open Source Projects, you'll have to take a baseball bat to your phone to shut it up if your number is anywhere on that site. Mine's just now starting to get active now that I'm getting more confident and I get probably 5-6 recruiters a month at least. Some of the more active guys I know had to change their voicemails to give recruiters instructions because of the frequency.

This post has been edited by Lemur: 24 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1