10 Replies - 2078 Views - Last Post: 11 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Java This Semester

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

So I hava Java this semester and I really want to ace it. Java feels much at home due to my little C# development background and I also started with Android. So I began learning Java and Android from :

• Ivor Horton'S Beginning Java
  • Beginning Android 4 Games Development
  • Beginning Android 4 Application Development

and for OOP concepts:

• Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming by Timothy Budd

I have already completed 30% of Ivor Horton and Budd and am loving it ! Android seems pretty catchable too.

So my query is, is there any other resource/book/site that I am missing to compliment my learning? If so what's it?

Thanks for any helpful suggestion ! :smartass:

This post has been edited by Jeet.in: 20 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java This Semester

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Java This Semester

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:42 AM

I've been making my way through Effective Java and it's fantastic. It's a not a beginners book, and a good working knowledge of Java is required to fully appreciate it, but I'm no pro and I'm taking some really good lessons away from it. The book is written in 'chunks', each chunk is a best practise, and you can read it piece-wise and just mull over one concept for a while. It's a good book to have on the shelf.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:59 AM

peace_fixation Effective Java is a suggestion many people and even my seniors gave me. So should I wait to finish my current read or is it possible to start on with Effective Java parallely with Ivor Horton?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

I'd suggest you first crush the books you have now, before starting on any others - make sure you understand every line of code, to see why it does what it does, or why it fails if it's an example of a failure. Test the code in the compiler, and then make hypotheses about what the pieces do, and test those hypotheses by making changes to the code. Do all the exercises the books have in them, and try to write them well - write them with good style from the start, using some consistent formatting conventions regarding indentation and placement of curly braces, and obeying java's apparently arbitrary naming conventions, etc., and start by getting a program that runs and produces the correct results, and then try to find ways to make the code elegant and even beautiful. Test your code to make sure it's correct. Think about what sorts of cases might make it fail, and check those cases.

Once you've done that, you'll probably have got everything you can out of that particular book, and you'll be able to put it on your shelf as a reference, or else hand it off to someone else to use, but you'll never need to think "oh, I should go back and finish that". (which is good, because that never happens)
At that point, you can look for your next book - and you'll have a better idea of what to look for. Effective Java is great, and I can second that recommendation. Danny Haggar's Practical Java is also good, in the same lines. Joshua Bloch also has a collection of "Java Puzzlers" which I've seen in the bookstore but haven't read. That might be quite useful for you after you finish going through the books you've listed.
Another book I've seen but haven't read is A Little Java, A Few Patterns. The authors of this one have made a number of really good books on Lisp, and I'm really fond of their style of writing. I'd be willing to be $30 (of your money) that it'll be worth your time.

But there are a ton of very good books on Java and on programming, so maybe you should finish the stuff you're on and then think about what you need at that point, instead of drowning yourself in recommendations and distracting yourself from the stuff you're working on now.

View PostJeet.in, on 20 June 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

peace_fixation Effective Java is a suggestion many people and even my seniors gave me. So should I wait to finish my current read or is it possible to start on with Effective Java parallely with Ivor Horton?

I'll be repeating myself, but finish the books you're on first.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I am already working out the problems of Horton and Budd. I guess then my target will be to be as thorough with the text I have and then add up to the knowledge any other recommended book may present.

This post has been edited by Jeet.in: 20 June 2013 - 05:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

Android seems pretty catchable too.

It's certainly Exceptional. ;)

My thread Getting Better at Programming Java is a good resource too. Hope it helps some!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

My advice is most likely going to be odd. Find the Android docs, take a little time (no more than a week) and get the basics of Android and Java. Then dive in. I always learned more from coding than from reading.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

This is all great information, thanks. I too am taking Java this fall and looking forward to it. But I don't have any experience programming in Java yet. Any ideas for a total newbie like me?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

Grab a book on Java? Check one out from the library!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

We have a great discussion thread on which beginners books to use. You should check it out! The Tutoracles are also a great resource. If you have any questions regarding your Java code, please feel free to stop by the Java forum!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

Well if you're taking the class for school then you might check out whatever the required textbook is for the course by visiting your school bookstore. The course required textbook might be just as good as any suggestions we can offer here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1