2 Replies - 637 Views - Last Post: 21 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My mind is blown

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:03 AM

Frustrated with my job, wanted a change 30 days ago. I'm an industrial mechanic, 45 years old. Been a mechanic all my life. Fascinated with computers tho. Finally took the plunge and dug in. Well after 31 days of learning code I'm kinda blown away. There is so much to this I'm constantly wondering what avenue to take. I basically signed up at Code Academy and so far have been thru the HTML, CSS, Javascript, Jquery and now I'm on Python. I just wanted to immerse myself and see if i liked it. To me, to be interesting the problem has to be (at first glance) an impossible problem to fix. Its what I do at my regular job. Then thru persistence you solve it. I'm finding that programming is the exact same challenge. I'm just wondering since I'm now 45 and not some 20 year old is there any direction that would be best to follow? My goal is now to learn enough to make it a career, this coding is like crack to me. I literally can't wait to work on it everyday. If there isn't a job in my future, I'm still gonna do this everyday. To me its what I loved to do for fun my whole life. I'd buy some beat up old car, learn about what made that car tick, then fix it up and enjoy what I created. Is this a realistic goal? Or is this best looked at as a hobby? When I started I wanted to be a web developer, however now I see there are many roads to take in programming.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My mind is blown

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: My mind is blown

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:52 AM

I was in sales for most of my life and at 35 I decided to go back to college and get my bach in software engineering.

greatest move ever

after your get some projects in and prove yourself to the "working" community aka real job.. programming will not only help pay the bills -- it will save on your back and hands since you are a mechanic.

It may seem hard at first but stick with it...

also just remeber 2 very important things:

1. you will NEVER know everything about a language
2. google is your friend
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: My mind is blown

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostDarenR, on 21 June 2013 - 04:52 AM, said:

I was in sales for most of my life and at 35 I decided to go back to college and get my bach in software engineering.

greatest move ever

after your get some projects in and prove yourself to the "working" community aka real job.. programming will not only help pay the bills -- it will save on your back and hands since you are a mechanic.

It may seem hard at first but stick with it...

also just remeber 2 very important things:

1. you will NEVER know everything about a language
2. google is your friend

Thank you, thank you, thank you.....right now I'm wondering if I should try and master one language, or keep my present course of hitting them all lightly. Thing is there are so many different jobs out there I honestly don't know where to start. I may just concentrate on HMTL/CSS/Jquery/JS and build some websites while learning other things like Python and Ruby on the side. We will see. Already having fun lurking on the site
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1