• +
  • Last »

76 Replies - 2886 Views - Last Post: 26 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

• Death Scythe
  • member icon

• View blog

People Blaming Everything on Hackers

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

People that know little about computers always tend to blame things on hackers. For example, I went on Facebook this morning and saw one page that was spamming disgusting posts. This was not caused by a hacker as it was just some application they accepted that can post stuff on their wall. I explained this to people on the page but they keep saying "hacker" and "someone stole your password." How dumb can people be? I don't really know what I meant to discuss in this post but I you could give some examples like I did or something.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: People Blaming Everything on Hackers

• Fire giant boob nipple gun!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: People Blaming Everything on Hackers

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

The hacker built the application, and decided how it was going to behave. The fact that he/she is not sitting at the other end of a keyboard seems immaterial to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Still technically a hacker.

An example of what you might be talking about is like...

My mom would blame every innocuous thing happening on her computer on hackers. She can't find that text document she was writing yesterday... hackers! Not that she forgot to save it and just hit the power button when she was done.

But those people are a small minority... most people aren't that ignorant of computers now a days. That's more a 90's thing. There's only a few stragglers left.

OR

Are you talking about the difference between ethical hackers and malicious hackers? Cause I know some people don't like malicious hackers even getting to don the name 'hacker', and try to create an exclusivity to the term so that hacker ONLY means ethical hacker.

In which case...

Sorry, you don't own the word. Words get defined by society and how they choose to use the word. It sucks... and in some places you can have some qualms (like misusing word definitions, or mispronouncing them out of ignorance, have some legitimate qualms... but even still, society as a whole really does dictate), but in this case... hacker never originally meant ethical or not ethical. It's ambiguous of intent. You can't retroactively hijack the word.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 23 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Wiki:

Hacker (term), a term used in computing for several types of person

• Hacker (computer security) someone who accesses a computer system by circumventing its security system
  • Hacker (hobbyist), who makes innovative customizations or combinations of retail electronic and computer equipment
  • Hacker (programmer subculture), who combines excellence, playfulness, cleverness and exploration in performed activities.

It is all about context ;)

This post has been edited by andrewsw: 23 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

POPULAR

I do know for a fact some hacker stole my croissanwich this morning.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

who cares, honestly? Getting all upset about something so trivial will only serve to shorten your life.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

I was given a slightly aged laptop which proved to be virus-riddled. When I vainly attempted to go to anti-virus, or AntiMalware Bytes, sites it came up with an error page each time, "Connection Problems". This does give you the slightly spooky feeling that someone is watching over your shoulder :devil2:, controlling the computer from behind you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Death Scythe
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

Ah. Well I got the definition mixed up. Oh well. I do have something else to share though. My parents were going to sell their Wii so they asked me how to find the firmware version since someone asked for it. I told them I didn't know. Then they decided to look through the manual to find the firmware version. *facepalm*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

Realistically they can call it whatever the heck they want. Most of us are beyond caring. If you're a hacker, you're a hacker. If someone comes up to me and says that because I'm a hacker they don't want me anywhere near their tech, it's probably a good call assuming I care for long enough to bother at all. It does make for some rather interesting conversations and people in general just leaving you completely alone so their identity doesn't get shipped off to the black market.

I somewhat enjoy playing off of the negative connotations on occasion. To me it's the same as being called a nerd. I enjoy the culture and all the reasons for being one enough that I could really care less what outsiders judge me as for it. It becomes trivial quickly.

The only people likely to be repeatedly offended are the ones who have no idea what it really is, no skill for it, or otherwise just want some smug sense of superiority. That's true for most anything in tech, and a lot of the reasoning behind some of my satirical posts and outright exaggeration.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:54 PM

POPULAR

What annoys me is when someone leaves their FB account logged in on a computer and their friends will post something stupid in their place and say they hacked the account.

My sister is notorious for this. Then her daughter hops on and types "I have the best daughter in the world!! Lolz! Love you, mom! You've been hacked by your beautiful daughter!"

You didn't fucking hack anything, Kelsey. Knock it off.
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

i feel that's too part of hacking .playing with your account. they build those application so that someone will use that and get paid for that :nottalkingtoyou: that's why i don't use application in fb much and browse only offical websites of products for more safety . other than this antivirus is also part of the policy
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

B9, easy solutions:
1. Delete / Unfriend Button
2. Win Key + L

Now when I used to say I hacked Facebooks, it was with consent using SET and Side Jacking. Now that's actual hacking. Side Jacking no longer works in 99% of cases, and good luck finding out what SET is without knowing before hand. Consequentially it's a mildly lucrative business to make bets with drunken frat guys who think you're full of it, and getting signed permission slips.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostLemur, on 23 June 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

B9, easy solutions:
1. Delete / Unfriend Button
2. Win Key + L

Now when I used to say I hacked Facebooks, it was with consent using SET and Side Jacking. Now that's actual hacking. Side Jacking no longer works in 99% of cases, and good luck finding out what SET is without knowing before hand. Consequentially it's a mildly lucrative business to make bets with drunken frat guys who think you're full of it, and getting signed permission slips.

agree with you.before getting agree with you i went to google and read about the sidejacking to understand the term :dozingoff:/> lol i went to google to understand what your are saying

This post has been edited by vks.gautam1: 23 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

ITT: http://i.qkme.me/35iu5d.jpg

View Postlordofduct, on 23 June 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

I would contend that that is NOT technically hacking. The reason is that it more than likely (I have no idea what the app in question is) outright tells you it is going to do this. It's probably in some obscure corner of a EULA or whatever, but I'm sure it's there in plain text "we will post shit to your wall with this."

I won't suggest that the "playful circumvention of a system's standards" is the only valid definition of hacking - but I think using a stapler in place of a start button on your PC is a hack, whereas the above is simply taking advantage of the average user's tendency to not read what they're agreeing to.

Some would, I'm sure, suggest that because they're counting on the user to not read it, it's a hack - I say no, because in the end the user is responsible for acting on the information provided and by providing the information they can in no way say that the user was fooled. Another common definition of hacking is 'obtaining unauthorized access to a computer system or network." Whether the user was paying attention or not, they authorized that access. There isn't actually any social engineering involved.

90% of the time, when someone says hacker - whether claiming to be one or accusing one of doing something, I think of the above image macro. If you accuse them of stealing your sandwich, you're a User. If you feel the need to claim to be one, you're a script kiddy.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

View Postdepricated, on 24 June 2013 - 08:56 AM, said:

ITT: http://i.qkme.me/35iu5d.jpg

View Postlordofduct, on 23 June 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

I would contend that that is NOT technically hacking. The reason is that it more than likely (I have no idea what the app in question is) outright tells you it is going to do this. It's probably in some obscure corner of a EULA or whatever, but I'm sure it's there in plain text "we will post shit to your wall with this."

Misread the first two posts... I thought for some reason that it was software that wasn't known to be installed (i.e. mal-ware).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »