• +
  • Last »

76 Replies - 2942 Views - Last Post: 26 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: People Blaming Everything on Hackers

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 24 June 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

To say of someone that "they're not a hacker, they're just a script kiddie" suggests that contemporary hacking requires a great deal of skill. Generally, it doesn't, and the only people who want you to believe it does are script kiddies with an inflated self-regard.

I remember a post not to long ago about someone who supposedly hacked his school's website and when asked how he did so, replied with something along the lines of "that is dangerous knowledge, nobody should know. (I'm a god)". Does this get anybody else thinking about the misguided perception of "hacker" status only elite carpal tunnel syndrome suffers can attain?

This post has been edited by IcyCode: 24 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

One thing needs to be clear: hacking a school is, a vast majority of the time, a joke. Administrators that leave unlimited password caching on every device for offline logins and constantly login to library computers with said credentials, SSH on default ports with passwords that are dictionary words, unpatched apache/IIS web services, unpatched novell servers, manually created computer deployments, auto run enabled for jump drives, the list goes on.

Admittedly most people get their start jacking their school network, and have that as their claim to fame. I'm sorry, but I've yet to meet a competent IT person that's in charge of a school district and I highly doubt I will any time soon unless it's a large private school.

This is the start of a lot of the god complex issues, you leave skiddies excessively low hanging fruits and they'll pretend to be super hackers the rest of their lives without any semblance of a clue as to how that attack actually works or what the password crackers are actually doing.

Good hackers are the ones who wonder how that just worked, the ones who disassemble and reconstruct, the ones who yearn to find out more. The derp ones fire up something like a certain famous windows password cracker gui (that I won't name) and have at it, and claim super hacker status.

What it comes down to is a smug sense of superiority more than anything. Anyone with Google could do what those guys do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:47 AM

poopin
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• DLN-000

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:25 AM

shit...crap...I think KYA was hacked!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

With both shit and crap, I think depricated was hacked... Twice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

Oh noes they stolz mai megahurtz! l33t haxx00rs bro.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Before I say anything... If any of you have any qualms with hacking, I don't wanna hear it. Just read this article, or shut your mouth.

There is a big grey area here as to if this is actual hacking or not. My personal definition of hacking is:
The unauthorized gain of administrative privileges on a piece of software/system or website.

What I mean by that is, any hacker that can make a FUD (Fully Undetectable) Remote Access Trojan, a file redacted for RAT's, creates exploits, can gain access to your system through some sort of exploit using redacted, knows advanced SQL injection theory, knows how to create a basic Java Drive By, or can create a BotNet is indefinitely a Hacker. Anyone that doesn't know how to do any of these is a skid and should be treated like one... In other words, whoever created that stupid Facebook app is a script kiddy, and shouldn't even have a post on DIC dedicated to him. >.</>/>/>/>/>/>

Now, with this being said.. I personally wouldn't call this hacking because whenever you load an app onto your facebook it gives you a nice little popup literally telling you everything that the app requests to do on your wall.

BUT, there is another side to hacking... The Human side. It is called Social Engineering, and is a part of a hackers everyday life. Common knowledge in the hacker world is that the most vulnerable part of a piece of software, system, or webpage is the human factor. That's right. YOU are the most vulnerable part of your computer.

This means that the company that made the software is RELYING on the human factor, or end user, to completely look over their EULA and facebooks popups, and accept their app onto their page. That, my friends, is called social engineering, and it can trick even the keenest of minds.

http://en.wikipedia....ring_(security)
redacted

This post has been edited by Curtis Rutland: 25 June 2013 - 11:04 AM
Reason for edit:: removed several links that are not allowed

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

Just read this article, or shut your mouth.

Thanks for marking where we should all stop reading your post.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for marking where we should all stop reading your post.

Your loss.. It is your choice to stay as uninformed as you may wish, sir. I just hope that you realize, that the people that make even the most trusted of virus removal tools are, in essence, white hat hackers.

This post has been edited by optix212: 25 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

We are uninformed because we do not agree or care about your opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

That still isn't my problem. I don't really care if you don't care about my opinion, because it isn't my opinion at all. It is all factual. You can choose to not care about the basics of computer security if you wish, but when you get hijacked don't go crying to the forums.
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

#42 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

All things considered, I don't think that you're likely to inform anyone if you're citing that sort of juvenile drivel. Some teenager in 1986 who spent too much time listening to Pink Floyd is your rock-bottom "read-this" on hacking? Feh.

We don't even need to get into your dark cloak and mysterious mirror-shades and your cooler-than-thou bullshit - really, you know who's really a hacker and who isn't? Uh huh. Tell me more when you're old enough to shave...
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

Hey guys, I think we might be in the presence of...

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#44 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

View Postoptix212, on 25 June 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

You can choose to not care about the basics of computer security if you wish

That's rich. You're going to tell me about the basics of computer security? And I only can understand it if I play in your clubhouse? Sure, whatever. Have a nice life, or whatever it is you have.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

I'm not a hacker, idiots.

I know about them... Wait, let me pull a quote that I know you ill-informed mongoloids would love to read

My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

Now please, flame away while I continue to sit back in my comfy computer chair and laugh at you all for getting mad at me simply.... Because none of you know a damn thing about my post...

You're mad because I understand something that you can't... Awwe, how cute. ^_^/>

Also.. I hope your not intending to actually be making fun of alphanumeric names while yours is undeniably alphanumeric Mr. H4nnib4l... Lol

This post has been edited by optix212: 25 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? -3
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »