9 Replies - 1917 Views - Last Post: 17 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best electives?

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

I'm a third year computer science major and I can't decide what to take for electives. What would you guys recommend? It can be anything, not just CS or math. I'm hoping to work as a software engineer after graduation rather than go to grad school. So is there anyone in the field who wishes they could go back and take a certain course? Thanks in advance!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best electives?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best electives?

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

Public speaking, english composition, anything with chicks in it, astronomy, philosophy and logic, art class, more Native American Studies, maple syrup gargling, more shop classes, and military sciences.

Of course it would be helpful to know what was available, but sure.. yeah.. those were all fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

Also, is Data Mining gonna be useful if I'm planning on working in software?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

That's a nice skillset to have if you're doing a lot of analytics. You could take graph theory and statistics courses to complement a data mining track.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

I mixed it up in my 3rd year and took Data Warehousing, Agent Oriented Programming and 3d Graphics & Procedural Animation. They were all fun and a nice aside to the maths and CS classes. If I had my time again I'd have probably taken more maths, or a minor in cryptography or at least something more focused than three random classes, but regrets are for pussies! I think the main thing is just to learn a lot of good, workable skills. The stuff I've done in my spare time is the stuff that's taught me most of what I need at work. The neat things I learned at uni are really just for me, for now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

View Postwelp666, on 23 June 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

not just CS or math

Well, then, what do you like? I only minored in CS, I got a Liberal Arts degree in English Literature. I took every class that looked amusing. Actually, I'm only a cred or two shy of the philosophy and journalism minor. Theater, anthropology, engineering, psychology, it's all good.

It's college, man. Don't just leave with votech education. Get some rounding while you can. Chicks dig the artsy stuff... ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'm being forced to take classes in all different areas for electives. I'm in landscaping architecture now and it's kind of not boring. Anything theatre arts is probably fun. If you just need to fill some random electives see what neat classes your school offers. Mine has a beer brewing class and a wine class (two separate classes) among other really far out bad ass classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

If you really want to be a great software engineer after college, take more programming classes. Don't get bogged down by all the impractical and unnecessary stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

One of my favorite electives was clay.i was bad, but even without much artistic ability you can make usable cups and shit if you work at it. Plus it was really relaxing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

I second the public speaking. Interpersonal communication, and any other verbal communication class, will be extremely helpful.
There tends to be a lack of communication and speaking skill in CS, so if you can talk to your non-compSci peers, bosses, and clients well, it will give you a leg up.

At my school, a communication class is actually required for a computer science degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1