3 Replies - 379 Views - Last Post: 27 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

PC does NEVER completely shut down

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:52 AM

Help guys!
I have a problem with my PC from a while.
Whenever I try to shutdown it down, it will do everything normal till the end: spinning stops, blue background disappear and screen becomes black and dead, but the PC will still remain powered on with lights on and rotating fans.
This even happens when I try the hybernation, in fact I've to force shutdown holding the power button about 5seconds every time.
If I restart it though, it will do fine.

I'm talking about Windows 7, 32bit PC. I have Ubuntu 12.04 on the same hard drive and it behaves the same way.

What I did so far without success:
- BIOS upgrade (it was the last version but I run the upgrade anyway.
- chkdsk /r, it found bad sectors, and labeled them. GParted says the disk will fail soon 'cause it has more than 140 bad sectors.

My questions
- Can the hard disk still be the cause of this problem, even after the bad sectors has been labeled?
- Can I fix this without changing the hard drive?

This post has been edited by domenico: 24 June 2013 - 04:54 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PC does NEVER completely shut down

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PC does NEVER completely shut down

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

This doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me. What I would do to prove that is boot off a live disk. Either a Windows isntall disk or a Linux live boot cd. If it powers off fine, you know for sure it's the OS.

Then I would start looking at the Windows event logs.

View Postdomenico, on 24 June 2013 - 07:52 AM, said:

in fact I've to force shutdown holding the power button about 5seconds every time.

Pretty sure the timer on the emergency power off is more like 10 seconds.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

Some computers still use power even after shutdown to provide power to usb ports, wake up for network, etc.. The fan may stay on until your CPU has decreased to a cooler temperature. How long after does the fan stay on after your shutdown the machine? It is possible that the harddrive is bad and you might be deadlocking while trying to read/write from/to disk.

To be honest it could be anything, however you do know that something is causing the shutdown process to hang. Try updating all of your drivers, one bad driver that is unwilling to close can screw the hold shutdown process.

This post has been edited by jjl: 24 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

I too have this problem and I think it maybe due to a Windows Update not updating correctly. I'd run Linux on the computer and see if it will shutdown while running that.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1