3 Replies - 1024 Views - Last Post: 26 June 2013 - 11:20 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Time Out

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

Hi guys,

I am downloading a large report from a web application but processing time stops due to timeout. I already increased the CommandTimeout and the executionTimeout but program still stops.

My timeout details are the following:
Connection Timeout = 180
Command Timeout = 10800
httpRuntime executionTimeout = 10800

Before increasing the executionTimeout, I received the error Request Timeout.

After increasing the value of the execution Timeout, I did not receive any error message but the processing stops. Are there any other timeout that I haven't set yet?

What are some things to be checked when creating a web application that must allow really large data to be downloaded from the site?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Time Out

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Time Out

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

How long before the timeout message appears? The error message may be completely unrelated to the duration of the download, but appears because of some underlying incompatibility between the file(s) being downloaded and the technology used to process the request. I recently had a very similar issue concerning file upload. Data transfer over HTTP connection is not as effortless as the fat cows make it appear. Without knowing anymore about the technology you are using and what kind of files you are attempting to transfer, I can only suggest that you make sure the tools you are using were designed for the task at hand. The solution may be as simple as altering the file format, or as complex as completely redesigning the entire application to work around the immense lack of support for file transfer over HTTP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:23 PM

I am downloading a crystal report PDF with ExportToHttpResponse.

When executionTimeout was set to 600, it timed out after 30 minutes displaying Request Timed Out message. When I increased the value from 600 to 10800, it would just stop around 35 to 40 minutes. No error message is displayed but you would just notice the loading image in the browser tab already gone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

I was using IE for the testing.

I tried using Google Chrome instead.

When the download stopped, I was redirected to the login page (a behavior not done by IE). So I am thinking that the session was the one that timed out. How do I increase the session timeout?

I thought session would only timeout after a long idle time. Is a long running process considered an idle time?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1