0 Replies - 781 Views - Last Post: 28 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

#1 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Corporate SCM and Agility method

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

So, since many of the members here are IT professionals or are going to be going into the field I have a few potentially interesting discussion topics to bring to the table that I don't believe have been brought up previously.

NOTE - This isn't limited to IT professionals, as I am also interested in your personal preferences.

First, what does your company use for a source code management tool?
What agile method (if any) does your company use? If it doesn't use an agile method, what does it use instead?

Second, what do you personally prefer to use for a source code management tool?
Do you host your SCM in-house, on your local machine, on a server, or elsewhere?
What agile methods do you like to employ when working on a project?

My work uses CMSynergy by IBM, which I can't claim to love, but it gets the job done. As far as its agile method, we are a little bit of a hybrid. There are some teams that go at it in a tiger-team (just try to get the problems fixed as quick as possible using however many iterations necessary) and others that use scrum. The tiger-teams normally don't track their tasks in the conventional sense, instead using emails and personal notes to manage what needs to get done when. The scrum teams use Rally to track everything there.

As far as my personally, I tend to go with Git almost exclusively since I found it. I used to use SVN, but it wasn't as intuitive and seemed far more sluggish than git has been (though that could have just been the power of the machine I had at the time). I also host my git server in-house on a virtual machine whose host is set up with a RAID 0+1 mirroring dual 2TB HDDs to ensure that I have some redundancy in case of bad things happening (which have in the past to me).
Now, when doing personal projects I typically use more of a solo-tiger approach. I mark down what I need to do and in the order I believe it should be done (normally in the commit notes) and then knock the issues out as I get time to work on the project. I am considering attempting a test-driven-development model for one or two of my projects though to see how that works out.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Page 1 of 1