2 Replies - 1391 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

#1 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

How does quantum computing change programming?

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

A friend forwarded this article to me. I don't have the necessary to evaluate the machine itself, but it made me think a little. We all know that quantum computing, if it enables fast factoring, could kick our current privacy models in the sensitive parts, but what does it mean in terms of regular programming?

Assuming that quantum computing will be deployed sooner or later, will we need to develop new languages to take advantage of this, or will contemporary languages be able to adapt effectively?
Has programming as we know it just become a little bit quaint, or have we just witnessed the birth of a new class of uber-geeks?

Gentlemen, you may fire at will.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: How does quantum computing change programming?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How does quantum computing change programming?

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

I'm not well versed on quantum computing, but I tend to think that if and when they come on to the scene in a usable way, a lot of what we already know will be transferable. Quantum computing seems to offer a large advantage to problems that can be solved with parallelism, which is only a (small?) subset of all the possible problems. I can see algorithms and numeric computation being written under a new paradigm, but the abstraction and modelling and software engineering concepts will still apply as they do today. It's exciting to think we might see another computing revolution soon. I'm very curious to see how it unfolds!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How does quantum computing change programming?

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Videos
So You Think Quantum Computing Is Bunk?
The Incredible Shrinking Quantum Circuit
Validation of a Quantum Simulator

This post has been edited by AdamSpeight2008: 12 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1