7 Replies - 666 Views - Last Post: 01 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Nervousness affects English verbal skills

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

I know I'm good when writing in English but my verbal skills are not quite good whenever I speak with my boss. I'm getting chilled whenever I speak. Is being nervous affects that? Any advice to overcome stage fright?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Nervousness affects English verbal skills

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Nervousness affects English verbal skills

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

I've found the best way is to keep on doing it. And by that, I mean talk with EVERYONE. Talk with your cashier, friends, people you know, cube buddies, etc etc. Just asking them how their day's going is enough. After awhile it'll come natural.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

Of course it can affect it. Learning a isn't an easy thing. I've been slowly trying to learn Japanese, and I know once I get to the point where I know enough to, and find someone to speak to in it, I'm going to nervous as well. I think it's easier to relax when writing another language. You can take it slow, think about what you are writing. Being able to see it - instead of just hearing it in your head - it gives you another way of confirming it's correct. Plus you don't have to worry about pronunciation that way.

When talking to your boss that is certainly going to add more pressure. I'd try and find more people in a casual setting to speak with more often. Have them tell you any way you can improve and keep getting more used to speaking the language. There's really not much else I can think to do other then use it as much as possible and become more comfortable and confident when speaking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

just talk to me in English everyday and we will be okay. http://www.google.com.ph/imgres?hl=en&biw=1440&bih=775&tbm=isch&tbnid=UO_pm8SgVYopXM:&imgrefurl=http://www.pinoyden.com.ph/index.php%3Ftopic%3D271406.0&docid=RcxCmNrtmD9EhM&imgurl=http://memecrunch.com/image/519c888fafa96f2719000003.jpg&w=720&h=540&ei=RRPSUdm6G4i-kQXAqYGIDw&zoom=1&iact=rc&page=1&tbnh=188&tbnw=254&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=139&ty=246
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

It's pretty normal for there to be a noticeable discrepancy in eloquence between verbal and written communication. Some people can speak extremely well with perfect fluidity and clarity, but their writing makes them look quite dull; conversely, some people who speak poorly are extraordinary writers. I think the latter is a more common case, since there is an obvious reason for their poor speaking ability: They speak as though they're writing, and writing well takes more thought than normal conversation. If you're an introvert and/or a perfectionist, you probably lean towards the second camp. Like anything, though, you can probably overcome (to a certain extent) your natural weakness through practice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

Learning another language can be daunting. Even native English speakers can have difficulty speaking to people they hold great admiration for.
Confidence is your best friend. Confidence gives the human mind power over a lot of difficulties. I have experienced the perfect example.

I live in Japan. I'm not fluent in Japanese by a long-shot. When I worry about whether or not people can understand me - I suck at Japanese. When I don't worry about it, the words flow out like a rainbow and most importantly - the words are understood.

Everyone is nervous in nervous situations, it's okay to be nervous. Knowing that, you can be both nervous and confident simultaneously.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for your advice guys. I'll keep that in mind. I hope I can be good in English. Confidence is what I need. :rockon:

Well, I have a case. It's hard for me to understand other people accents. Aussie and American accents are the different. Do you think I can be good in my listening skills one day?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

Watch lots of TV shows from the country you wish to understand. As a kid, I was always within ear-shot of my mother's TV dramas from Home&Away/Neighbours (Australian) to EastEnders(London), Corronation Street(Manchester) and Emerdale(Yorkshire). That and Hollywood movies are in various accents/dialects of American and English, some of the actors even pull the accents off pretty well. It's all about exposure. The more you experience, the more you learn.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1